SSH agent repeatedly prompts after wake from sleep

dvanoni
dvanoni
Community Member
edited April 2022 in SSH

Hey there! I've been using the new SSH agent in 1Password 8, and I'm a huge fan! It works great with all of the programs I use, except for one little annoyance with JetBrains IDEs where 1Password's SSH agent prompt repeatedly appears even after authorizing or denying access.

I believe it's related to the fact that I'm using the GitToolBox plugin and have enabled the "auto fetch" feature on a 15-minute interval.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install the GitToolBox plugin in a JetBrains IDE and enable auto fetch.
  2. With the IDE open, put the machine to sleep.
  3. Wake the machine after a duration that's at least some multiple of the interval chosen for the auto fetch. (As far as I can tell, the longer the machine is sleeping, the more prompts will be enqueued.)
  4. Observe the 1Password SSH agent prompt requesting permission for the IDE.
  5. Either authorize or deny the request, and watch another prompt immediately appear.
  6. Continue to work your way through however many prompts have been enqueued, or quit 1Password to make it stop.

I'm not sure if this is something that would need to be addressed in 1Password, in JetBrains IDEs, or within the GitToolBox plugin. I thought I'd start here since the 1Password SSH agent is the newest piece in the puzzle.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 80700049
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: macOS 12.3

Comments

• This is a bug on our side and we're working on a fix! In the mean time you could consider temporarily disabling autofetch.

• dvanoni
    dvanoni
    Community Member

@floris_1P thanks for the update! I can definitely disable auto fetch for the time being.

• @dvanoni The issue of many consecutive prompts piling up has been fixed. Can you see if it works for you now?

• dvanoni
    dvanoni
    Community Member

@floris_1P as best I can tell, it appears fixed to me! Thank you so much!

• dvanoni
    dvanoni
    Community Member

@floris_1P after a couple more weeks of usage, it looks like the issue is still occurring sometimes, though it seems to be more intermittent than it was previously. I'll see if I can narrow down the specific scenarios in which the issue arises.

I'm currently on 1Password version: 80800094

• @dvanoni We've released another fix for prompts piling up, could you try updating to the latest nightly again and see if the issue is resolved?

• dvanoni
    dvanoni
    Community Member

Hi @Marton.Soos_1P, thanks for following up. I'm currently on version 80800143, and it's still exhibiting the issue with RubyMine and WebStorm. I have both of those IDEs configured to auto fetch every 15 minutes.

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide. Thanks!

• Hey @dvanoni, stepping in for Marton. I'm sorry this is still occurring! Would you be able to submit an SSH diagnostics report as described in this guide?

• dvanoni
    dvanoni
    Community Member

Hey @jody.h_1P, I can do that! I've created the ssh-diagnostics directory. I'll wait for the issue to occur again and then send in the diagnostics. Stay tuned!

• dvanoni
    dvanoni
    Community Member

@jody.h_1P I was able to reproduce the issue, and I just submitted the diagnostics zip file. Let me know what else you need!

• Hey @dvanoni, thanks for this. I'll check with the team to see if we can narrow down the issue. In the meantime we're still working on some other improvements to reduce prompting frequency, which will become available in future nightlies, so be sure to stay up to date and I'll reach out if we find a solution or have followup questions.

• dvanoni
    dvanoni
    Community Member

@jody.h_1P after your previous comment, I started using nightlies for a while, and I haven't noticed the issue in a while now. I'm currently back on the beta release channel and on build 80800215, and it seems like the issue may be resolved!

• Oh that's fantastic to hear @dvanoni! Thanks for following up, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.