Search functionality in the 8.7 Window app differs from search the browser extension

amyatt
amyatt
Community Member

Apologies if this is already discussed somewhere but I couldn't find anything relevant. When I search for "search" on this site all it comes back with is Forum search issues.

I have multiple entries in a vault such as:

als01
bls01
cls01
dls01
ls01

When I search for ls01, it brings back only the bottom entry.

When I do the same search in the browser extension, it brings back all the items.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Sadly this problem is known since the release of the very first early access version of 1PW8. Agilebits sacrificed substring/partial search in order to support unicode. They are "evaluating" the situation but a fix doesn't seem to have high priority. For me it's a showstopper for switching to 1PW8.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022

Hello @amyatt, thank you for this question.

It's correct that this is a result of how 1Password 8 currently handles parts of words (or "substrings", as they're technically known). However, this is something our developers are looking at for potential improvements.

And in the meantime, there's another way you can approach this. If you press ctrl + alt + f, a find dialogue will pop up, which should be able to help with the kind of search you'd like to do. Let me know how this works for you - and we'll welcome any feedback you'd like to offer! 👋

ref: IDEA-I-527

• amyatt
    amyatt
    Community Member

Thanks, that works fine!

• Hi @amyatt, thanks for the quick reply. I'm happy to hear that Peter's suggestion is working for you. 😀

• Hey @amyatt, I just wanted to follow up and share some good news! As of our latest Nightly (80901013) release, we've added substring matching while searching:

If you're interested in trying out this functionality, you can navigate to Settings > Advanced and set the release channel to Nightly. You can then select About and Check for Updates to download the latest release.

Let me know your thoughts!

Ali

This discussion has been closed.