How can I use AutoFill for Apps?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

For two Apps that I start daily (in a logged out state) I currently use 1Password CLI scripts and Keyboard Maestro to log me in (after biometric unlock). This works great, but maybe the new Universal AutoFill can do the job even better?

Unfortunately it does not seem to work for both Apps:

How should I define entries in 1Password for Universal AutoFill to work with these Apps?

(I already have Login entries for their web services)

And what would be more secure: using op read & Keyboard Maestro to automatically "type" the result or Universal AutoFill?

1Password Version: 80800007, on NIGHTLY channel
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Comments

• Hi @XIII:

Great question! I notice you're currently on the nightly channel right now. As I mentioned in your Watchtower thread, we kept a few features out of nightly / beta releases to avoid spoiling the surprise. 😉

Universal Autofill will be available in tonight's nightly release as well, so keep an eye out.

Jack

• ag_tommy
    Options

@XIII

Thanks for the tip on Fastmate. I may need to look into it.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

After today's update AutoFill works in both Remember the Milk and Fastmate (even automatically filling in a TOTP code on a second screen)!

Nice that 1Password offers to link Apps to credentials:

Super awesome!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Also works in Chronicle Pro.

Love this new feature!

Can somebody from the 1Password team please answer this question:

And what would be more secure: using op read & Keyboard Maestro to automatically "type" the result or Universal AutoFill?

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Version 8.7.0 from Beta-Channel and Universal-Login (with Zoom) is not working. How can I enable it or use it on german keyboard?

• fuchsr
    fuchsr
    Community Member
    Options

As I mentioned in your Watchtower thread, we kept a few features out of nightly / beta releases to avoid spoiling the surprise. 😉

Huh? That's one pretty late April 1 joke. Isn't that what betas are for? To test new features? "Spoiling surprise"? Of what? The surprise of features not working as they should because they haven't been beta tested?

Look, I'm a huge 1Password fan and I'm super impressed by all the work that is done to continuously improve it. But as a beta tester, this feels, well, wrong.

• Hi @fuchsr, I can understand that feeling. In fairness, we do a lot of internal testing (as well as incorporating extensive and continuous feedback from the huge community of folks here!), so in that way the Universal Autofill feature release was an exception to the rule. It's nice to be able to pleasantly surprise people sometimes, and the response to Universal Autofill has been really delightful. 😃

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

dmacx - I'm sorry to learn of this issue. If you go to the settings menu, delete the command - \ shortcut, and re-add it, does it work now? I'll look forward to hearing how it goes!

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P I was on the beta and this does not worked with that. I switched to Nighlty and back to beta after an update. With the next beta update it worked.

• Thank you for the info, @dmacx. Excellent to know that it is now sorted out, and the steps to get there!

Also apologies for the absurdly large text in my prior post. An inadvertant Markdown error. It was not intended to be nearly as "loud" as it likely appeared. 😄

This discussion has been closed.