Why does 1Password v8 need accessibility permissions?

Options
skatch
skatch
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

When I brought up Quick Access while using my web browser, 1Password prompted me to open the Security preferences and give it Accessibility permissions. As a security-conscious user (I use 1Password, after all) I'm slightly suspicious and would like to know why this is required. Particularly when it wasn't a requirement in v7 in the same situation.

It seems counterproductive to, on the one hand, encourage security by using 1Password, and on the other, expect users to grant access to this relatively powerful permission without any explanation.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Probably for Universal Autofill?

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    Options

That was my guess too, but it's odd to prompt for this permission in the web browser, which I assume doesn't need it, instead of when I'm using a native app where 1Password needs this permission for Universal Autofill.

Also, 1Password's prompt should explain why it's needed.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @skatch, @XIII is correct. Universal Autofill uses the MacOS Accessibility APIs to work its magic. 👍

In case it's helpful, you can find more information here: https://support.1password.com/mac-universal-autofill-preferences/

We appreciate your feedback on this, as well as the security-conscious mindset. We're right there with you!

I'll file a request to see how we might improve notification around that first-run experience of Quick Access. Thanks for the prompt to do so. 🙏

ref: IDEA-I-975

This discussion has been closed.