Cannot install 1pw 8 - Javascript error???

Options
krgraham
krgraham
Community Member

I downloaded the installer and ran it but it keeps quits with a Javascript error.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @krgraham:

This definitely doesn't sound like the experience we want you to have. Can you please take a screenshot of the error you're seeing, and include it in an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com, as well as a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/129412/cannot-install-1pw-8-javascript-error#latest and your username krgraham? We'll be happy to take a look and see where you're running into trouble.

Jack

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    Options

So why is this taking so long? I've responded to all the email questions yet so far no suggestions on how to install v8 for a long-time user.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@krgraham

You report is in the hands of the development team. We appreciate your patience as the team works to resolve this.

ref: LYY-63954-847

• actor90
    actor90
    Community Member
    Options

I seem to be having the same issue on two of my four macs.

• dteare
    Options

Sorry for the trouble, everyone.

To make sure we're on the same page and to help others who may find this thread, the JavaScript error that we'll be (hopefully) resolving here looks like this:

I saw @Joshua_ag answer a similar question in our email system and the user reported it fixed the issue. I'll quote parts of Joshua's answer here:

Please try following these steps to see if we can get 1Password up and running properly:

• Open Terminal
    • Paste the following commands and press return on your keyboard after each one:
    • chmod 700 ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/
    • chmod 700 ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t
    • chmod 600 ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/s.sock

Try to open 1Password 8 from your Applications folder. If it is not installed, you can download it from our website and install it.

To get a little technical for a second. 1Password expects its folders on your Mac to have particular folder permissions, only allowing your Mac's profile access to the files in its folders. The particular error you are seeing is that the permissions have been set in a way that allows more access to these folders than 1Password expects (considers safe), so 1Password 'crashes' the app and displays the warning.

If the permissions for those folders are changed again the issue will return. Do you run any app that manages folders on your Mac or automates things for you across your entire Mac? Some apps may accidentally be changing the permissions of 1Password's folders and potentially other folders.

If you open Terminal again and run ls -l ~/Library/Group\ Containers. We would expect most (if not all) of the folders to show drwx------, if you see something different at the start of each line, it would be likely that some app is changing those folders permissions and thus causing this issue.

Here's how it'll look in practice:

Please give that a try and let us know how it turns out.

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

This discussion has been closed.