Two steps to Autofill? is This Really Necessary?

mountart2
mountart2
Community Member

Can someone explain to me why it is necessary to have two steps to autofill info on a website? Seems to me, yes, we want security, but ease of use as well, and I'm just not seeing why you can't just click on a box and have 1Password autofill the info with 1 click like Safari or Chrome and any other major browser does.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @mountart2! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're running into an issue when filling logins into websites. Can you clarify what the two steps are? When I open a website's login page I see 1Password's inline filling menu appear:

I can then fill my login information by clicking on the Login item suggestion in the menu. I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• mountart2
    mountart2
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Hi Wendy, when I click on a field that requires info, like an email address, physical addresses, phone number, etc., 1password always asks to confirm you want to autofill the field (see attachment). Why? I wouldn't be clicking in the box if I didn't want 1password to autofill in. I really see this as an extra time-wasting step. And just to compare other websites' ease of use, all the major web browsers allow you to click once to autofill.

• Hey @mountart2:

Thanks for following up on this! If you use the 1Password pop-up, rather than the in-line menu, to fill your Identity in, you won't be prompted:

Jack

• mountart2
    mountart2
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is 1 Password "Pop-Up" and what is 1 Password "Inline"?

• No worries @mountart2. Happy to clarify. What you see in this screenshot is the in-line menu:

And this is the pop-up:

The former is accessed from within a form field on a web page, and the latter is accessed by clicking the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar. I hope that helps!

Ben

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    So just to be clear (because I'm having the same confusion myself), should the inline menu appear when I place my cursor in a field on a web page? For example on a sign in page with fields for username and password if I click in either field the inline menu should display?
    Because it's not happening for me. I have the Taskbar icon active and the main app active, but I don't get the inline menu or indeed anything other than a blinking cursor.

• Hi @statto1927:

Yes, that's correct. Do you have 1Password in your browser installed? Get started with 1Password in your browser

With 1Password in the browser installed, you should see in-line suggestions, as well as the 1Password icon in the field as Ben's first screenshot shows.

Jack

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification @Jack.P_1P
    I’m sure I did (before I uninstalled and reverted to 1P7), but when I’ve got some time tomorrow I’m going to trying reinstalling and having another go, so I’ll check I’m in line (forgive the pun) with your suggestions.
    Simon

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P

Another issue still failing for me.

Have as per my response on another issues, have reinstalled 1P8, installed 1P for Safari and enabled it for all websites. Quit and relaunched Safari, and still get no suggestions with 1P8 active and 1P for Safari installed, enabled and active in Safari.

I'm honestly struggling to believe that 1P8 is in any way a step forward from 1P7 which worked flawlessly for me. At the moment, 1P8 is just seems like a repository for all my passwords, logins etc and the ONLY way I can use it is to manually copy and paste info into login field. It's terrible.

I know I'm on old(ish) kit - my iMac won't u/g beyond macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and I know 1P8 says 10.15 minimum needed, so chances are I soon won't be able to keep up with the latest version of 1P anyway, but if it says it should work with 190.15, it should work.

It used to be one of my favourite apps, and the one I always installed first on any installation. Currently for me at least it's a mess.

Sorry.

• NickIceCream
    NickIceCream
    Community Member

it's a mess for me as well. Yesterday I was writing some text in an app and 1P kept making itself the active app and my typing would appear in its Search field. This was happening a few times each minute. I couldn't get any work done. I quit 1P, but it kept happening. Then I disabled the Safari extension. Finally, I could work.

I've emailed several bug reports and getting minimal response. How can I drop back to Version 7? Would be happy to go back to V7 until things get better.

• statto1927
    statto1927
    Community Member

There are several posts about rolling back, but the best explanation is posted in this thread

https://1password.community/discussion/129352/if-i-try-1p-8-can-i-roll-back-to-1p-7-if-there-are-issues

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Why doesnt Autofill do what the name says.. When i visit a login page it autofills the credentials in automaticly? Why do i have to click?

• lymabe
    lymabe
    Community Member

I am in the same boat, I open a website and there is no autofill available like there used to be. Do I now have to download another app for safari? I still have my little icon at the top of my screen, but it only gives me the option to open 1password. I really don't have time to figure all this out... please help and make it easier for me. :)

• mountart2
    mountart2
    Community Member

Hi Ben, Inline works like a=half the time. As far as clicking in the for field boxes, why have the option to autofill that way if it doesn't work? Have to tell you, lobe your product, but the autofill is the worst!

• other321
    other321
    Community Member

WHERE is the setting to disable in line for 1P v8? It used to be a checkbox in v7. It's making me insane blocking input field and the built in keychain in Safari

• Hi @lymabe:

1Password 8 now has a separate extension. You'll need to install the appropriate extension for your browser here: Get started with 1Password in your browser

@mountart2:

That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have when using the inline menu. Just to confirm, you're clicking the inline menu to fill an item, but nothing happens? Let me know, and I'll be able to take a closer look.

Jack

• mountart2
    mountart2
    Community Member

Hi Jack, for me, it happens either way I choose to use Autofil. Either inline form field or choosing the menu bar 1Password icon, you still have to confirm to want to use Autofill. Why? Why have this extra step? Makes no sense to me.

This discussion has been closed.