Import the Email Accounts Category into 1Password 7 [Solved]

gkostera
gkostera
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Business and Teams

Is there any way to import from a csv into "Email Accounts" IT staff manages over 200 and rather than typing all these we would like to import like you can other categories.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@gkostera

What are the fields (i.e. CSV columns) you require for import?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@gkostera

Just a quick ping - do you still need some help here?

• gkostera
    gkostera
    Community Member

Sorry for the delay, I was looking to import Title, email address and password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2022

No worries, @gkostera . It's your thread, so you get to take as much time as you need! :-)

The csv converter in the converter suite can convert and import more formats than 1Password has provided. But I never added support for the Email Account category, since:

a) nobody had requested it before, and I take a lazy approach to adding code.

b) it felt like one of those categories where most users might have very few entries.

c) it is one of those relic categories whose default fields don't naturally map well to how users today configure email clients.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to add the necessary table entry to support your needs here. And just to make sure I'm clear, you do want Email Account records created, correct?

If so, the title and email address columns are straightforward. But I'd like some clarification on your password columns. Is that single password used for SMTP and IMAP? Or just one of those? The Email Account category has password fields for both the sending and receiving side). I'm assuming you are configuring for IMAP (vs. POP3).

If you need any of the other Email Account fields converted, these can be added easily enough.

• gkostera
    gkostera
    Community Member

Yes I do want email accounts created for IMAP, username & password, I am not seeing fields for both inbound and outbound

Thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@gkostera

The inbound would be POP3/IMAP (above your second arrow, the "type" label has been selected as IMAP).

The outbound is the SMTP section.

Email services used by most users today generally use common credentials for both IMAP and SMTP (the servers are configured to authenticate with a common credentials service). So this Email Account category template doesn't really align with today's usage.

These are separate protocols, supported by distinct server software, are often run on separate systems, and can be configured with separate credentials. Hence the template's IMAP/POP and SMTP sections and their separate username/password fields.

It's been a long time since I've had to configure an email client in the same manner as was common even 10 years ago. Now, all of the clients I'm involved with get their configuration from a generated Profile that is imported into the system.

I'm adding code now...

• gkostera
    gkostera
    Community Member

Truly appreciate it very much.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2022

@gkostera

The first version is ready for you to try. The converter suite thread has the download location. At that location, there is a Custom folder where I've placed this version for you to test. The folder also contains a CSV file that you can use as a quick reference or for testing.

The README has been updated to include the instructions for creating the proper CSV. The new content specifies the required CSV headers. I've highlighted the fields from the documentation screenshot below that you specified above. I added the fields you needed, and also the SMTP username and password fields. You may omit any columns you don't require.

Here is a sample run:

$ perl convert.pl -v csv _TestFiles/CSV/email.csv
    Imported 3 items
    Exported 3 email items
    Exported 3 total items
    You may now import the file /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P_import.1pif into 1Password

• gkostera
    gkostera
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

User@324-Mini ~ % cd '/Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/' && /usr/bin/perl convert.pl onepif '/Users/User/Desktop/eMail.csv' -v
    Uncaught exception from user code:
    malformed JSON string, neither array, object, number, string or atom, at character offset 0 (before "TITLE,Type,Email Use...") at /Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/./Utils/PIF.pm line 1014.
    JSON::PP::decode_error("malformed JSON string, neither array, object, number, string "...) called at /Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/lib/JSON/PP.pm line 1045
    JSON::PP::word() called at /Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/lib/JSON/PP.pm line 728
    JSON::PP::value() called at /Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/lib/JSON/PP.pm line 688
    JSON::PP::PP_decode_json(JSON::PP=HASH(0x7feaa5810cb8), "TITLE,Type,Email Username,Email Password\x{d}", 0) called at /Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/lib/JSON/PP.pm line 148
    JSON::PP::decode(JSON::PP=HASH(0x7feaa5810cb8), "TITLE,Type,Email Username,Email Password\x{d}") called at /Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/lib/JSON/PP.pm line 110
    JSON::PP::decode_json("TITLE,Type,Email Username,Email Password\x{d}") called at /Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/./Utils/PIF.pm line 1014
    Utils::PIF::get_items_from_1pif("/Users/User/Desktop/eMail.csv") called at /Users/User/Downloads/mrc-converter-suite 2/./Converters/Onepif.pm line 137
    Converters::Onepif::do_import("/Users/User/Desktop/eMail.csv", undef) called at convert.pl line 183
    User@324-Mini mrc-converter-suite 2 %

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2022

@gkostera

You want the csv converter, not onepif, since you are converting a CSV file.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

• gkostera
    gkostera
    Community Member

Works perfectly, thank you so much, save a huge amount of entry time!!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Great, you're welcome, @gkostera

Have a great weekend.

This discussion has been closed.