One Time Password different between Windows 11 (v8 app) and iOS mobile app.

jessycormier
jessycormier
Community Member

I've setup 2FA for GitHub replacing my old 2FA (windows auth) for 1Password. During the setup everything went fine. I set it up on my desktop. I confirmed the 2FA worked by logging out and back in on my desktop.

Next day, I'm setting up a new laptop and needed to sign into GitHub. The 2FA failed (applied through a browser extension) so I thought I would manually copy it from the 1Password windows application; this also failed. When I checked my mobile app I noticed that the "One Time Password" was different between the windows app and mobile app.

The mobile app code allowed me to sign in so no harm done, but the fact the windows machine is not correct is concerning.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: windows 11 (10.0.22000 Build 22000 )
Referrer: forum-search:one time password different on devices

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

OTP codes are time dependent (usually change every 30 seconds)

Is the time on your Windows machine correct?

• jessycormier
    jessycormier
    Community Member

Hey XIII, this is exactly what was the issue. On the new machine it didn't have timezone or time sync enabled. Thank you!

• Hello @jessycormier - I'm happy to hear this issue was resolved with the advice from @XIII. Thanks for the assist!

• Trif589
    Trif589
    Community Member

Happened with me on updating to Windows version 8. Had Windows time zone on manual setting. The IOS and Windows programs looked to be about 15 secs out of sync. Forced resync of Windows with time server and problem resolved.

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022

Hi @Trif589,

I'm sorry to hear that you ran in to 2fa syncing issues between the Windows and iOS apps, but glad to hear you able to resolve this the time server resync. 😀

This discussion has been closed.