Unable to install 1Password 8 on Windows 10

ccuq
ccuq
Community Member

Hello,

I am trying to install 1Password 8 on my work laptop but without success.
Whatever version I try (Last stable or Last beta), same result: error.

The installation starts, asks me if I want to run the installer, asks me if I want to install 1Pasword 8, tries the installation and a window appears "

And then it stops.

I tried to install it as administrator (right click on the installer, "Run as administrator") but then it installs it in the Admin account and I have no access to the program to run it.

I think the problem is that the installer never asks for an admin account for installation and never asks where to install it.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

CHC

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @ccuq, thanks for reaching out.

1Password does not require administrator permissions to be installed. Issues like this are often caused by an antivirus or antimalware application, which might mistake 1Password for something suspicious and prevent it from completing the installation.

To investigate further, could you restart Windows in Safe Mode with Networking Enabled and then try to install 1Password again and see if you run into the same issue there? I've left the instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If you're able to successfully install 1Password in Safe Mode, I would recommend excluding both the installation directory at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password, and also 1Password.exe from any security software, and making sure both Windows and any security software you're using are completely up to date.

I'll look forward to hearing how that goes.

Ali

• ccuq
    ccuq
    Community Member

Hy @ali.hazime, thanks tyou for your so quick answer and apologies for the delay in my answer.
    I had no time to test the installation before this morning.

The installation was strange.
    First, I am unable to use the solution you provided as my laptop is protected by BitLocker and only pour support dept has access to the key, then I was not able to reboot in safe mode.

Then I tried to install it "As administrator" and it worked. But the executable is accessoible as soons as the 1Paswword is closed.
    But jsut after the installation, an update line appeared in the 1P 7 windows. I clicked on "Relaunch to install" or something like that (I din't thinlk to take a screenshot), and without any message I was in 1P 8 and P 7 has been uninstalled.

Anyway, it works, but I am a little bit surprised and I fear the next update won't be smooth...

CHC

• Hello @ccuq, sorry for the delay in response. Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know that things are working now. During the installation 1Password 8 for Windows, this will automatically remove any prior 1Password 7 for Windows installations.

Should you run into any other difficulties in the future, can you please reach out to us at support+windows@1Password.com with some details about the troubles you are seeing along with link to this thread and we'd be happy to help investigate further.

This discussion has been closed.