1Password v8 interferes with arrow-key scrolling inside Safari

Options
Kemayo
Kemayo
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

If I use a keyboard shortcut that invokes 1Password (either quick-actions or autofill), Safari loses the ability to scroll inside any page with the up/down arrow keys.

This can be tested by:
1. Launching Safari (or Safari Technology Preview)
2. Visiting a scrollable page and verifying that keyboard-scrolling is possible
3. Pressing a keyboard shortcut like command-/ or command-space
4. Verifying that keyboard-scrolling is no longer possible

Restarting the browser does seem to restore the ability to scroll until the next invocation of 1Password.

Whether the extension is installed in Safari or not makes no difference.

Other means of scrolling via the keyboard still work -- space bar, page up/down, etc.

Scrolling only breaks if any Safari window has focus during the invocation of 1Password, but it breaks for all windows associated with that instance of Safari

This only happens to Safari. Chrome is fine. (Haven't tried other browsers.)

I've experienced this on the current release build of 1Password, and also the current beta.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:safari

Comments

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member
    Options

I've run into this as well and it's SUPER-frustrating. I hadn't managed to pin down the exact circumstances other than it only started happening after I installed 1Password 8.

• Kemayo
    Kemayo
    Community Member
    Options

For others seeing this, I got a response from @1Password on twitter about it saying that this is a thing they're aware of and looking into.

• Hi @Kemayo / @VirtualWolf:

As my colleague on Twitter mentioned, this is something we're actively investigating, and I've added you as affected. Thanks for reaching out!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#15151

• step
    step
    Community Member
    Options

I've also been frustrated with this, and finally today found that 1P is the cause. Hoping for a fix soon.

• Hi @step (as well as @Kemayo / @VirtualWolf):

Thanks for following up on this. I just wanted to let you know that we've made some changes in our beta and nightly releases that should improve your state of play. If you'd like to give the beta a try, you can follow the steps here: Use 1Password beta releases

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• Kemayo
    Kemayo
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

I took a little bit to test, because the new beta didn't come out until last night. :D

It seems to have fixed the problem. You do have to restart Safari after you install the update, as whatever's wrong doesn't go away until then.

Thanks for working on this!

• You're welcome @Kemayo! Thanks for your patience on this! 😀 It's included in the stable releases as of 8.7.1, so if you'd like to switch to the stable releases, that's also an option for you.

Jack

• Jero9999
    Jero9999
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there.
    This is still happening for me as of 2022-10-21 on MS Edge browser. Running on windows 10.
    1Password app version: 8.9.5
    Edge extension version: 2.3.8

• walkers2
    walkers2
    Community Member
    Options

Please fix this it is terribly annoying Mac M1 Max - Ventura 13.0.1; Safari 16.1

This discussion has been closed.