Cannot unlock 1Password 8 with closed lid and Touch ID

Options
jpomykala
jpomykala
Community Member

When my MacBook lid is closed, I cannot unlock 1Password. It shows only a loading animation next to the password input. I need to close 1Password, open the lid, unlock 1Password with Touch ID, and then I can close it again.

Is there any option to skip the process of opening and closing the lid? 😄

example

Macbook Pro 2018, with touch bar and Touch ID (closed lid) + external monitor

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• fmcypriano
    fmcypriano
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Same here, from what I can tell it is trying to use the Apple Watch to unlock but it never actually prompts for the Watch authorization (the system UI) so it just keeps there waiting for nothing.

Personally I don't want a way to cancel and manually enter the password, I want the Watch unlock to work.

• fmcypriano
    fmcypriano
    Community Member
    Options

I think I figured it out how 1Password 8 got into this bad state. I had TouchID unlock enabled, and working.

Then I noticed that with the MBP lid closed it wouldn't prompt me for Apple Watch unlock, like it did on the iMac. It was because in System Preferences / Security I didn't have the "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac" turned on. Once I turned it on, 1P8 started to spin for-it-feels-like-forever every time it needed to unlock, it was waiting for a Watch unlock that never started.

It never started because in 1P8 own's Preferences the Apple Watch unlock was turned off:

Turning it on fixed the issue, I do get a prompt to unlock with my Watch.

Something is causing the UI to think there is a Watch unlock attempt going on when the System Preferences is on but the 1P8 own preference is off.

• Hi @fmcypriano:

Thanks for your additional details! We've tracked this down, so hopefully we should have it fixed soon.

ref: dev/core/core#14130

@jpomykala:

Do you have Apple Watch unlock enabled in System Preferences, but not 1Password? Let me know!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.