Auto-Unlock ALL accounts when unlocking

Options
Alastair Bor
Alastair Bor
Community Member

It seems a new feature of 1PW8 is that when 1PW auto-locks you need to separately unlock each account when going back into the app. This isn't how 1PW7 worked and I'd like to suggest a feature where you can auto-unlock all accounts without having to re-enter each password to each account. This can get quite onerous when you have multiple accounts.

Another consequence of this is that when you are used to having access to all accounts, the "search" obviously only searches through the unlocked accounts - this lead to a near panic when I thought a bunch of items were deleted - they were simply in one of the locked accounts.

1Password Version: 8.7.0 (80700098)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Bitomule
    Bitomule
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I reported this during beta and I'm really sad to see this is left out of first version when it is such a breaking change. Using 1Password 8 with more than one account right now is the worst user experience. I'll have to find a way of downgrading back to 7 until this is fixed.

I'm even more worried about why they implemented it this way because browser extension had this problem for a long time and 1Password team doesn't seem to care. I have my personal and my work accounts in 1Password but if this is the plan I'll have to consider using another password manager so I don't have to type 2 passwords each time I want to unlock my data.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Have you given thought to possibly changing your password to be the same for both accounts? This would allow 1Password to unlock all accounts and be more seamless to you.

• Bitomule
    Bitomule
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy , I'll try that but looks like unlocking both accounts now works as expected.

• Thanks @bitomule - let us know if there's anything further we can do from here. We'll be happy to help!

• Alastair Bor
    Alastair Bor
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P - This is still not working on my Intel Mac Mini (2018) which doesn't have TouchID - but it does work on my M1 Macbook Air which does have TouchID. Can you fix this so that it works without TouchID?

• Alastair Bor
    Alastair Bor
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P and/or @ag_tommy - Any idea if fixing this is even on the backlog? After drilling the "never reuse passwords" concept into my entire organisation, I think the solution of using the same unlock password on multiple accounts is not really a solution. The fact that it works to unlock using TouchID means that there should also be a mechanism on devices that don't have TouchID.

• Hi @Alastair Bor:

The previous behavior (where the first 1Password account added to the app would unlock the rest) could result in a situation where depending on which account you added first to the app, you could have different unlock passwords per device. Additionally, if you used a 1Password account for work, and your administrators enforced a password policy on that account, it could not be guaranteed that the password policy was followed, due to the account ordering aspect mentioned. This behavior ensures that you're exactly sure which password unlocks which accounts, as well as keeps you from forgetting multiple account passwords if that's a situation you'd prefer. For example, with the prior behavior, it was possible to have a 1Password account unlocked by another, and never know the first password. If you needed to add that 1Password account to a new device, unless you had separately noted down that account's specific account password, you could possibly be locked out of it if you no longer had access to the "unlocking" 1Password account.

Our general recommendation is that each person has a single 1Password account password for any 1Password accounts they may have: How to use multiple accounts

Jack

This discussion has been closed.