1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS 12.3 (21E230)

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

It‘s not only the preferences window. The same wrong window border is used by every dialog like by create collections. It was reported several times but AgileBits simply doesn‘t care. The standard answer is something like ‚we don‘t want to spend development resources on macOS specific UI changes‘.
    Other macOS UI principles like accent color are ignored as well.

• Hello! Thanks for sharing your feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password better.
    I have brought up your feedback with our design team, according to their response, one of the reasons we don't want to move X to the left is that some modal dialogs have multiple steps. In those cases, in the second or third steps, the back button goes on the top left of the title bar to go back a step.

The New Item modal is a great example of that

Thanks again for helping us making the app better.
    Maryam

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_maryam the problem you mentioned only exists because AgileBits refuses to follow even the most basic macOS UI principles. A proper dialog window with navigation should look like this:

Additionally a modal dialog on macOS has no close button neither the typical stop lights top left nor a fake X on the right. It just uses Cancel/Ok buttons.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

I still agree with this. I think modals should use native window dialogs if at all possible.

• danvpeterson
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hey @viswiz, @balupton, and @rctneil, thanks for the feedback here! This is an area we're continuing to look into on the design team and I appreciate hearing back from folks on it. The main consideration we took when creating our modal views was keeping them as simple as possible and making them easy to understand and use. We've done user testing with them a few times now, and while they tested extremely well in general, we have already made some changes based on that and other feedback and I'll make sure we continue to do that and iterate based on those types of tests as well as hearing back from folks like you.

The current versions do indeed break from Apple's general modal guidelines (although Apple themselves break that on occasion as well) and there are a lot of pros to going with system conventions. It can help with familiarity for those that have interacted with similar controls in other places as you've pointed out. There is also a balance that we try to work through in regards to whether or not breaking from the conventions hurts, or helps usability. And of course "usability" varies from person to person depending on their own experiences and familiarity with conventions, so we try to user test and research across different backgrounds. And in addition to that there is also a balancing act with how the implementation would work from a time, effort, and upkeep standpoint on the development side of things for us (and prioritizing things with other projects we are working on). It's a constant effort that we try to go through to look through all of those things and see where we can work to improve things next.

All of that is a very longwinded way of me saying, I completely see where you're coming from and appreciate your thoughts here being a long, long time Mac user myself. And I'll keep on pushing us to consider all of this when we make our decisions for the apps, hearing from you does have an impact and we work to keep track of this type of feedback over time as well. Our goal here is always to make the absolute best, and most usable apps we can. ❤️

Cheers,

Dan Peterson
    Staff Designer @ 1Password

• Ben
    Options

All,

This is something that has been addressed in the latest nightly build of 1Password 8 for Mac:

Ben

• Daryna
    Daryna
    Community Member
    Options

I also wait for the normal placement of the close button.
    I have to use version 7 just because of the wrong close button placement in version 8. Please, fix it.

I strictly refuse to use any application which is impolite to me as a user of Mac OS.
    I'm ok to pay for this. Though I need Slack for everyday work, I also do not use the Slack application because of the wrong close button placement. Same story with any other application with wrong button placements.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@Daryna

Have you tried the release? The X is no longer present and the stoplights are what closes the window. It is also now free floating and can be moved as needed.

• Daryna
    Daryna
    Community Member
    Options

I tried before writing here.
    I did this: brew install 1password and got the application version with irritating "Windows" buttons.
    Wrote my comment.
    Received your answer.
    Now trying to go with brew install homebrew/cask-versions/1password-beta

WOW! Thank You! I again love 1Password. All buttons are on their places. Thank you!
    Wow. I started hating it in 15 minutes of using stable version 8 of the application and got back fall in love again after trying that beta.

• Daryna
    Daryna
    Community Member
    Options

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

Ah that one. My apologies. I'll get this mentioned to the team.

ref: IDEA-I-1027

• Daryna
    Daryna
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Just adding these screens also here for you to see the whole picture (places with wrong button placements!

)

This discussion has been closed.