Opt-Cmd-F doesn’t always work

Options

Howdy.
As usual -- many thanks for all your great work.

I was checking out the latest update to the desktop app……… I love the new 'Find'.
I noticed, though, depending on the current focus, Opt-Cmd-F doesn’t always work (nothing seems to happen); even though Edit->Find does…

grace and peace,
thomas

p.s. I found it funny when I used the About 1Password menu option, it brings up the preference dialog but doesn't change the current tab to About lol.

1Password Version: 80600043
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.2

Comments

• Hi @thomasoatman, thank you for this considerate post, and for your insightful observation about the shortcut here. I was able to reproduce this, and have filed an issue with our development team to take a look at it. Thank you for bringing our attention to this! We really appreciate it, and hope you're well.

ref: dev/core/core#13262

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P .
    I am super curious what you guys have turned up.
    I'm a bit confused right now -- I've seen Opt-Cmd-F used in other apps too -- and not working...
    So I went into Sys Prefs Shortcuts... I don't know of a way to search for 'is this key press used' -- so I go to something and try to change it to Opt-Cmd-F... if it is assigned to something else then it will show a conflict.
    But in this case, it does nothing - i.e. it ignores me -- as if it didn't even see the key presses... It doesn't make a sound like it does for invalid keys; just doesn't do anything.
    I am too new to Mac to know what else to try.

• rob
    Options

Hey, @thomasoatman. We haven't found much yet. In my testing just now, the only thing I was able to reproduce is that if the Find UI is already open and you click somewhere else like the item list or details so that Find is no longer focused, pressing the shortcut does not return focus to Find. But in that case, neither does Edit > Find, so I'm not sure what you were seeing.

I wasn't able to reproduce the issue you saw with System Preferences either, so I'm not sure what to say. I'm sorry.

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member
    Options

thank you guys/girls. It is rather weird; but I am new to Mac so I'm limited in digging knowledge.
    I do have a number of apps (like 'Better Snap Tool' , 'Alt-Tab', VMWare Fusion,....) that have shortcuts so I closed everything I could (including 1P)...
    The Keyboard Input Viewer shows Opt, Cmd and F being pressed; but Sys Prefs still don't accept that for any shortcuts (I tried several areas). I even tried using the keyboard viewer to do the keys :-)

anyway; not worth anyone's time if noone else has an issue. have a great week.

• rob
    Options

Yeah, very strange. It does sound like it's being intercepted as a shortcut by something else, but I couldn't say what.

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @rob... great news. I stumbled onto the cause of the 'disabled' Opt-Cmd-F.

The Zoom Accessibility Controls uses this. and apparently doesn't let you change it. So I disabled that little feature and the key sequence is free again :-)

grace and peace, thomas

• Hi @thomasoatman, wow - impressive troubleshooting! 😃

Thank you for letting us know about this. I've made a note for any further cases we encounter, and am very glad to know that your opt-cmd-f is now working as it should.

Congrats again, and thanks for sharing this solution with us!

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member
    Options

you happen to have any remote Dev/QA job openings? :-D (mostly backend) C++, Python.
    I love the product and I think it would be a joy to work with this team !

• Ben
    Options

Hey @thomasoatman,

Possibly! All of our positions are remote. We don't work much with either C++ or Python, but we are looking for Rust and Golang developers. You can see all of our openings, and apply if anything strikes your fancy, here:

We're hiring!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.