The Search feature in macOS v8

Leon Guan
Leon Guan
Community Member

I have no choice to upgrade to v8 from v7 since 1P7 are abandoned. Anyway, despite of the safari integration frustrations, I don't understand why the search feature is such a cripple in macos app.

For example, sorry for Chinese Wordings in screenshot, that's what I searched for:

As the first screenshot, you can see the first item, with a chinese word I will need to search:

And then, I search for that words, it told me no result:

I understood that's a find feature as well, which can found the excat result, but the search feature was fine for me in v7 version, and it even work in ios version. I am not sure how you handle search and find features as you mentioned here, but those are excatly same words, it just make no sense that no results can be found, even with my bear eyes, I can see those are same words.

This did brought me lots of troubles, I used to thought I have lost that passwords....

Really hope we can have search feature well polished in macos version, I saw other threads about search feature bring back extra results, but it just brought no results for a simple contain match, maybe it's because I am search for a none-english words.

1Password Version: 8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Leon Guan

The 'find' function may help in this case. Instead of using the search bar at the top of the app select Edit > Find (or use the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘F) and then type your keyword(s). This will filter the current list to just the items containing your keywords.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• @Leon Guan

Is search not finding any of your items for you, in any case? For example:

Let's say this is the item I'm looking for.

If I search for "Open," it finds this item.

If I search for "VPN," from the middle of the item's title, it doesn't find it.

But it will show up if I use the Find feature and filter using "VPN."

Does that help?

Ben

• drewson
    drewson
    Community Member

@Ben - I agree with @Leon Guan's sentiments that the search function seems to search only the first part of a word or phrase. I just had the frustrating experience of trying to find my library card, which only had the keyword "library" found as part of a longer string of "columbuslibrary.org" and the single word "library" didn't appear anywhere on the record. I can work around this, but it doesn't seem like it worked in 1P7 and isn't clear that there is a separate "search" and "find" option. Maybe a better method would be to have a "search" and "advanced search" option? Or maybe "Show All Matching Items" should search within all strings instead of just at the beginning of a word?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@Leon Guan sadly the new iOS version of 1Password (currently in beta testing) uses the same broken search as 1Password 8. AgileBits should at least add an option to replace the awful new search with find. In other discussion they made it pretty clear that they not intend to revert the changes in search.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@Leon Guan in order to properly support Unicode they've sacrificed a large part of the previous' search functionality. Apart from just searching from the beginning it now splits words at uppercase letters (Pascalcase). Even worse it does not use boolean AND to search for items that have to contain all words. It uses boolean OR instead and finds all kinds of unrelated items. On top of that the UI doesn't show the results within the list but in a separate window and in order to get all results you have to press CMD+Enter/Strg+Enter. Who thought that this is a good idea has probably never used any of the previous 1Password versions or something like macOS' Spotlight.
    All those problems were reported more than 6 months ago but nothing has changed. They've only added the well hidden and strangely placed Find function.
    Regarding re-arranging fields they've ackownledged that they initially thought this feature is overly complex and rarely used. As with many other regressions they're now resonsidering their decision. I doubt anything will change apart from some cosmetic changes. In my opinion 1PW8 looks and feels like software developed behind closed doors totally disconnected from its long term userbase.

• Hi folks, my apologies that I don't have more to share on this at the moment. But we are taking your feedback into account and I'm passing along everything to the relevant decision-makers. Thanks for providing this feedback, and we'll continue to do our best to implement search in a way that meets everyone's needs.

ref: IDEA-I-527

This discussion has been closed.