To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

does 1P 7 icon in application get replaced by 1P 8

Options
alistairmck
alistairmck
Community Member

hi, I'm on 1Password 7 Subscription, when I install 1P 8, does 1P 8 overwrite 1P 7 in application folder and system files etc

thanks in advance

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: 7.9.4
OS Version: macOS 11.6.6

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@alistairmck

1Password will be installed to the Applications folder and 1Password 7 will be zipped up and named as 1Password 7.app.zip 1Password 8 uses its own data directory that is distinct from 1Password 7.

• chilighost
    chilighost
    Community Member
    Options

I have a subscription and have downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store. How do I get version 8?

• alistairmck
    alistairmck
    Community Member
    Options

hi, @ag_tommy thanks for replying. what do I do with the Password 7.app.zip after 1P 8 install ?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@alistairmck

You can leave it in place if you wish. If you'd rather remove it, please drag it to the trash. Do not use an app cleaner they can become over zealous.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@chilighost

You can get 1Password 8 here: 1Password 8 for Mac

• alistairmck
    alistairmck
    Community Member
    Options

hi again @ag_tommy I have now installed 1PW 8 and binned the 1PW 7 file, and installed 1PW extension but the extension has came in as an app icon in application folder and an icon on Launchpad, is this correct ?

• Hi @alistairmck:

That's correct. 1Password for Safari exists as a separate app from 1Password for Mac.

Jack

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

My question follows along the others. I installed 1Password 8 today, saw the reference to the Safari extension which I clicked on and had installed from the Mac App Store. I removed the 7zip file altogether and all seems to be working properly, although I've noticed a delay in launching Safari which could just be the age of my laptop. However I’ve now read that with the extension the desktop application is not necessary, and presumably with the desktop 8 the extension is not necessary. Is that correct and is there any issue in having both enabled and functioning?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@pappjo

It is possible to use just the extension with a membership. I much prefer the dual approach and prefer to do my editing and creation in the app. If it's logins to be created I use 1Password in the browser. Also, if you use Touch ID, the app is needed to facilitate that functionality.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy
    Got it! Thanks. I would always have desktop app. But going through the installation of 1Password 8 it seemed that the extension had to be installed to work with Safari. It just confused me but all is working smoothly.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@pappjo

With 1Password 8 you would need to install 1Password for Safari. ‎1Password for Safari on the Mac App Store

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! All are installed now.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Enjoy!

This discussion has been closed.