Set default collection/vault for saving in 1Password 8

Comments

• bone
    bone
    Community Member

This is just piling on my earlier post but the lack of an ability to set a default vault is already causing multiple problems in the family and I am the only person on v8 because I can't "upgrade" them or there will be chaos. And I should remember to change the vault - but don't!! My wife and kids have been complaining because newly created logins aren't in their 1P. I of course say "yes they are" - and then realize - argggh v8!! Please tell us a fix is on the horizon for this.

• ReubNOUS
    ReubNOUS
    Community Member

I also just commented on a similar post here, but have reposted below with some additional comments:

I also am very frustrated at the removal of the "default vault" preference in the 1Password app.

WORKPLACE MANAGEMENT ISSUES:
    I help manage 1Password and vaults across our workplace staff. Since admins do not have access to each user's private vaults (via the management tools or vault permissions), we rely on the "default vault" feature when setting up each staff member's devices, to help ensure new logins are saved into a specific vault we create for each user. This allows us to easily access or amend these logins as required as part of our IT support. 95% of all new logins should be put in this vault, thus the benefit of setting a preference to speed this task up. It's important for us that any company-relevant logins are saved in a vault that's accessible to admins, particularly to easily manage transition of accounts and update logins when there is change of staffing.

I was keen to try out 1Password 8 as I read that it would supposedly allow for auto-filling across macOS apps (not just browser). However, the lack of a "default vault" preference is a deal-breaker and I immediately reverted to using 1Password 7.

Please give back control to administrators to determine for themselves the appropriate default vault for each user/use scenario instead of mandating this be the "Private Vault". Here are some main reasons:
    1. You creating MORE WORK EACH TIME A NEW ENTRY IS ADDED (additional browsing to appropriate vault before creating a login) for users that ARE careful to put new logins in the appropriate vault.
    2. You are INCREASING THE CHANCE THAT NEW ENTRIES ARE SAVED IN AN INACCESSIBLE VAULT for users that are less savvy or less careful about where logins are stored.
    3. You are HAMPERING THE ABILITY OF IT ADMINS to easily manage/troubleshoot/update logins for staff members.

FAMILY MANAGEMENT ISSUES:
    I also have a 1Password for Families licence and this has been invaluable for improving login security for all family members. My wife no longer has to write her passwords down on a hidden notepad. Everyone has the ability to easily create strong, unique logins and store them immediately at the moment of creation. We are able to manage access to different vaults to ensure the appropriate people can share or view specific logins. The key to making this work with my less tech-savvy family members, has been the default vault setting, as we DO want each user's logins to go into a specific shared vault for each user BY DEFAULT, but there is an extremely high likelihood my wife and kids won't bother browsing to choose the correct vault.

As long as Private Vaults are kept hidden from admins, we rely on the "Default Vault" feature to help mitigate this lack of access.

• greenhut
    greenhut
    Community Member

Sorry - piling on to show support for this, but also have related suggestions.

Recently updated my elderly father to 1Password8. He sometimes manually creates logins in the 1P application. As noted, by default, these go into the "Private" vault which is not the desired behavior in this case.

In addition to the more important suggestion to allow setting the default vault like 1P7 allowed, the presence of the "special" Private vault itself is problematic. Three specific recommendations to fix this:

• Any vault should be able to be private by setting a property on it
    • Any vault should be deleteable (Right now the Private vault cannot be deleted)
    • Will need to deal with deletion of the last vault (e.g. autocreate a Default vault as necessary)

Thanks!

• uberspeck
    uberspeck
    Community Member

I made the mistake of upgrading my whole family to 1Password 8 not realizing the default vault feature had been yanked. What a mess. My elderly parents keep calling to ask why their passwords are missing. My brother and his wife are pissed off at me for doing the upgrade for the same reason. People have been complaining about this bug for 7 months now, judging by this thread and the bug persists. I build software for a living. I know it's hard. I also know better than to yank features from users without due diligence. I hope you've taken notes.

• webdove
    webdove
    Community Member

It has been a while since this issue was raised. It would be nice to hear back from the developers when the fix is scheduled to be released...

• TechHaven
    TechHaven
    Community Member

Well all this explains why I haven't been able to find the default vault preference setting on my Maca…

It seems half the time when I create a new entry it gets saved to my on of my client vaults instead of my own. This is not good.

Adding my voice to the heaping pile of users who are requesting that this featured get added back into 1Password ASAP.

Other than that, great work on V8.

• jms_1p
    jms_1p
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

Any update on the default vault for new entries? In my opinion, this long-standing feature that's missing in 1Password 8 is a showstopper for 1Password Families since many families save the majority of passwords in a shared vault (not Private).

I've been a big advocate of 1Password for my family and others. As anyone who has championed password management knows, it can be a challenge to convince some people that it is even necessary. But with a little hand holding, almost everyone eventually recognizes the value. Without the default vault, however, family members get confused when a new entry is missing on the other family members' devices because it was mistakenly added to Private. This frustration creates a significant barrier for family member adoption.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @jms_1p !

since many families save the majority of passwords in a shared vault (not Private)

You should try the latest beta build of 1Password in the browser.
    1Password in the browser Beta

Here, you are able to specify a default vault for saving new entries.

Maybe give it a try. 😊

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

Hi @DenalB, the functionality you are describing above is not what's being discussed on this thread. This discussion is about the default vault used for saving new passwords, not the default account or vault that is being selected for browsing.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Ok. Sorry... 🤔

• chriswilson
    chriswilson
    Community Member

Adding a +1 to this as well. My wife and I use a shared vault as our default valut in v7, and not having this feature in v8 is a huge step backwards for us.

• MiF
    MiF
    Community Member

The current solution for default vault is very complicated to manage and understand even for administrators.
    I specifically use several 1password accounts at work and in my family.
    I have them all installed on one device.

Desktop App:
    I can't explicitly select default vault, which is a completely incomprehensible change in the new version 8.
    For me the default vault is set from the first account, as I installed the accounts.
    I recommend to revert this option to how it was in version 7.
    If access to the default vault is not available (as I read some argument in a discussion), just show the login dialog.

Web browser extension:
    I use 3 browsers on my computer. Safari, Brave, Firefox.
    In the 1password extension settings you can set a different default vault in each individual browser.

Wouldn't it be better to simplify the whole default vault logic as much as possible? Exactly these endless possibilities lead to errors and inappropriate usage by users.

I'd recommend choosing the default vault settings in the 1Password desktop app as the default, if they return there after a year of discussions.
    All newly installed browsers would adopt them.
    Depending on how it works, it makes more sense to set one default vault the same for the desktop, for both the application and the browsers.

Oh yeah.

• Hi folks, I can appreciate your use cases - and thank you for sharing them with us. Wed don't have anything to announce on this feature at the moment, but I am filing votes on your behalf and keeping track of the feedback. Thank you for letting us know.

ref: IDEA-I-292

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

Hey @PeterG_1P and everyone, I notice that the latest update (v2.3.5) to the Safari 1Password extension has introduced a "Save new items in" setting (in the General section) that allows you to select the vault that's used by default. And that setting works (even though for some reason they don't mention it in the release notes)!

Now if we can just get that same setting in the app itself (and in all the other 1Password extensions) we will have exactly what we have been begging for! Please, please, please!!

• garyc23
    garyc23
    Community Member

In 1Password 7, there's a setting that designates which vault to use as default for newly created items. In 1Password 8, I do not see such a setting. All new items default to my Personal vault, which I never use.

Is there a way to change that default vault setting?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• garyc23
    garyc23
    Community Member

In 1Password 7, there's a setting that designates which vault to use as default for newly created items. In 1Password 8, I do not see such a setting. All new items default to my Personal vault, which I never use.

Is there a way to change that default vault setting?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

At first glance, it appears that there is no way to select the default vault for new items in 1Password 8? Was this option removed? If so, please please please bring it back. The way we've used this in our family is to have a "new items" vault to which things get added, and then move items to a different vault to be shared differently (e.g. only parents, private, etc). The default is now only into the "Private" vault, which I agree is the most "secure", but it's not the most flexible or useful option.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
    Extension Version: n/a
    OS Version: macOS 12.4

• Futura64
    Futura64
    Community Member

Did this ever get fixed? If no, then is the only way to set up a default vault (other than private) is to go back to 1P 7? FYI, my use case is two adults in the household, one fairly computer literate (me) and the other not so much. We share everything in one shared vault and I manage any issues within the vault. Similar to comments about elderly users, there is no way my spouse is going look for different vaults so I need one default vault that is the default for both of us.

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member

I SECOND THIS!!
    I have a shared vault with my wife that is the only vault we use. Defaulting to Private is causing lots of problems when new items get lost. If either of us forget to change from private to our main vault, then the other doesn't get the new item. PLEASE fix this soon.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Clearly there is a large community of people for which this is a problem. I'll add my request to fix this (and many other features now missing from version 8).

For my growing 50 person company, we use 1Password for EVERY new hire. As the person who advocated the use of 1Password, and administer the entire company, this one feature was a huge selling point. For now, I've told everyone to NOT upgrade to v8, and all installs are automated to pull version 7 only. This will not change until this feature is restored.

The same thing for my family accounts, including my parents. This is a complete non-starter.

IMO the need for this is clearly outlined, and the fact that no one at 1Password has indicated anything except commiseration indicates that the company does not appear to be taking this feedback seriously. If that is untrue, and I hope it is, then there should be a clear statement direct from the development team that this feature will return, with a timeline.

• jbg232
    jbg232
    Community Member

Just to add to this older thread, I just upgraded to 1password 8 and feel this is a big loss of a feature. My wife and I share almost all family logins in our family vault and had that as default in 1password 7. This is a hugely missed feature and hope it can make it in to a future update.

• jbg232
    jbg232
    Community Member

+1 to this!!! Miss this feature terribly.

• jbg232
    jbg232
    Community Member

Just to add my 2 cents, after I upgraded to 1password 8 and realized this is a "lost" feature I will definitely NOT be upgrading my wife because she will absolutely hate having to change every item to the shared family vault which seems to be what I have had to do.

• theConcerned
    theConcerned
    Community Member

I'm sorely missing this lost feature. Please re-add it. It's a step backwards in ease of use.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

@Ben wrote:

we don't have plans to implement this as it was in 1Password 7, [...]

Can you elaborate on that a bit? Do you mean there are no plans to add back the "default vault for new items" feature?

There is a much longer thread on that feature and quite a number of people have laid out the case for absolutely needing the feature, both in business and in family settings.

https://1password.community/discussion/124089/lost-functionality-in-v8-set-default-vault-for-new-items

If you really aren't going to be adding that back in, then you aught to give a decent rationalization for the decision.

As it stands now, I've told everyone one of my users of 1Password (over 40 right now) to NOT upgrade to 1Password8 for the sole reason of this missing feature. It's critical to our workflow.

• Hi folks, thanks for your continued feedback here, and I do hope you find that the setting in the web extension is useful for your purposes, and covers many common use cases.

I don't have any additional news to share at this point, but promise to continue to pass on your feedback to our product managers and closely track demand for the proposed change.

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022

Hi folks! Thank you for this discussion.

There isn't currently a way to set this within 1Password 8 (the desktop app), but the latest update of the 1Password in your browser extension (v2.3.5) does contain a save new items in option under the settings menu which allows you to do this. I hope this is helpful!

I will add votes on your behalf to a request for this in the main app as well (and actually have already done so for @jbg232).

• ccampbell
    ccampbell
    Community Member

This is a massive issue for those of us with multiple accounts to manage. I do not trust the security model of the 1Password in the browser extensions and will only use the desktop app with Universal Autofill going forward.

I've completely lost the ability to manage the order that accounts are presented or the preferred vault for new items. 1P8 continues to try to put new items in a shared vault on an account that I access as a guest user. Likewise, since I can't hide vaults from autofill or disable the automatic submission, I've had several occasions of being logged in to accounts that I've been given access to for emergencies only.

On the surface, this may just look like a usability problem, but it's one that's likely to result in a security breakdown at some point. Since I don't even see these fixes in the change log for the beta, I suspect I'm going to have to join the downgrade party. I seriously hope that the 1Password team will continue to provide security fixes until they restore feature parity for the desktop application.

• ccampbell
    ccampbell
    Community Member

I'm seeing the opposite problem. Sensitive, personal items getting placed by others into shared vaults that have suddenly become defaults.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

I get that as a possibility, @ccampbell, but having the option to decide which vault is the default should be left to the user, and not forced by the tool.

This discussion has been closed.