1Password 8 - suddenly crashes immediately upon opening Win11

1mikepass
1mikepass
Community Member

Was using 1Pass 8 perfectly until this morning when it will no longer stay open and crashes immediately upon opening. The browser extension also stuck on "loading" unless I remove app integration. I have tried installing all and reinstalling. 1Pass 7 works however.

The logs seem to say something like

ThreadId(10) [1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\acl.rs:411] Access Denied:
ThreadId(10) [1P:foundation\op-enclave\src\windows\mod.rs:146] failed to get SID, TPM backend will be unavailable: Access is denied.

[1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\app_startup.rs:111] Access is denied.
[1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\acl.rs:411] Access Denied:
Permissions requested: Query limited information, Read permissions, Change permissions
Permissions rejected: Query limited information, Read permissions, Change permissions
ThreadId(15) [1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\app_startup.rs:121] failed to restrict access to frontend memory: Access is denied.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win 11

Comments

• Hey @1mikepass, thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear you're encountering this issue with 1Password 8. I can see that you're running into failed to restrict access to frontend memory: Access is denied error. This is a known issue that our team has been investigating. For some next steps, I'd like to ask you to email us directly at support+windows@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

Ali

• Hi @1mikepass, I've located the email you sent and will have a reply out to you shortly. Thanks!

Ali

ref: QPW-91733-891

• IFireflyl
    IFireflyl
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

If this is a known issue can you provide next-steps on here so others can find it and try whatever workarounds are available? I am having the same issue.

ERROR 2022-05-18T16:30:53.586 ThreadId(14) [1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\app_startup.rs:121] failed to restrict access to frontend memory: Access is denied.

• Hi @IFireflyl, I'm sorry to learn you've encountered this issue. This will likely require one-on-one troubleshooting, so I invite you to contact us (if you haven't already) at support+windows@1Password.com, and we'll be happy to get things started for you. Please include a link to your post here so that we know it's you. We'll do our best to get this resolved for you quickly!

• IFireflyl
    IFireflyl
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P, I just sent the email.

• IFireflyl
    IFireflyl
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P, why would you tell me to open a ticket under the guise that this will require one-on-one troubleshooting when that isn't true? The only troubleshooting steps for this known issue are to move to the nightly build or downgrade to 8.6.0. You could have put the troubleshooting steps in this chat because they aren't user-specific. I am extremely irritated by this as I don't appreciate my time being unnecessarily wasted.

• Hi @IFireflyl, my apologies on this - the practice for how to help with this issue changed since I last checked in (the Nightly is a new development), and we had been doing in-depth investigations with individual users not long ago. Software is a moving target, so I hope you'll forgive my oversight on this. I certainly didn't mean to waste your time; we want to get you up and running in as few steps as possible.

• IFireflyl
    IFireflyl
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P, I'm the one who needs to apologize. I had a long day at work yesterday, and today was more of the same. I was far more crotchety than I should have been, and I'm sorry about that. I have downgraded to 8.6.0 for now and it is working. I hope you can send some sort of reminder out when 8.8.0 (or whatever your next release will be called) comes out with the fix for this so I can turn auto-updates back on. Thank you.

• Hi @IFireflyl, thanks for this really gracious reply - and no offense was taken on my part. Again, I apologize that you had to go through this process in the first place. I've made a note for our team to follow up here (in this thread) when we've got a fix into the Production channel. Thank you, and we'll look forward to providing that ASAP. 🙏

• Hi folks, this is now fixed in our newest release: 8.7.1. If you'd like to give it a try (see our release page), we'd love to confirm that it resolves the issue for you specifically. 👍 Thank you for your patience while we worked on this!

• Jonsey
    Jonsey
    Community Member

Hello,
    I am having the same problem--1Password 8 for window crashes after the password is entered. I have updated to 8.1.7 and the app still crashes. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

• Hi @Jonsey, thanks for reaching out to us! I'm sorry to hear you are continuing to see a crash after updating to 8.7.1.

A new update (8.7.2) is available that we'd like you try out. Could you please check for available updates through the Settings menu (Ctrl + Comma) > About. While the only addition here is a replaced code signing certificate to address an issue with the previous certificate, I wanted to be sure you were fully up-to-date before moving forward. This release is otherwise identical to 8.7.1..

If this behaviour continues, we may be looking at a different issue and ask that you provide a diagnostics report via email to support+windows@1Password.com so we can help to investigate further? Please do not post these details in the forums.

Can you also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so we know it's you when we see your message in our inbox. Thank you!

• Jonsey
    Jonsey
    Community Member

I had already tried the 8.8 beta and it won't let me go back to 8.7.2 Still crashing on startup. I sent the diagnostic file to support.

Thanks

• Thanks, @Jonsey! We'll be in touch soon.

ref: TJX-76821-278

This discussion has been closed.