Favorites in 1Password 8 now showing me everybody's

Orko
Orko
Community Member

I have only a few favorites in 1Password and this was an excellent way to find "My Favorites". All of a sudden, I am now seeing favorites which other people who have shared vaults are marking as their favorites. The odd thing is, I can turn them off if I want, but then that removes it from their favorite list.

Is there a way to have our own favorites only show up in favorites. We have a large team of people sharing vaults from different cities. I am not enjoying searching through everything to find mine. I may as well not use favorites anymore.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Β«1

Comments

• Hi @Orko, thanks for raising this question with us. Can you let me know what version of 1Password 8 you're using? You can find this under Settings > About. I'll be happy to follow up on this for you.

• Orko
    Orko
    Community Member

I am on 8.5.0

• Thanks, @Orko. I'll follow up on this and should have more for you soon. Thanks for the post!

• PeterG_1P
    edited February 2022

Hi @Orko, back once again. πŸ‘‹

It turns out this is an expected behavior from the current version of 1Password, although we recognize that it can create some strange happenings between users as you've mentioned here. To explain a bit:

Currently, the "favorite" status is a property of the item itself, which means that a "favorite" applied to an item happens globally, rather than on a per-user basis. We can certainly see why a per-user favorite approach would be useful in cases like the one you've mentioned, and we have an open request for our development team to look into how this can be done.

While I can't promise anything on when this kind of a change might make it to future version of 1Password, it is on our radar and we'll collect customer feedback about it going forward - and I've just now added your request with a link to this discussion to our existing issue. Thank you again for asking about this!

ref: DEA-I-104

• aggieben
    aggieben
    Community Member

I second this feature request. I have been using 1Password for my family for a long time and this has been a most annoying gap in the UX.

• Your vote has now been added, @aggieben. Thank you for speaking up!

• Lu1502
    Lu1502
    Community Member

I am managing 1Password Business for over 600 people and this would basically make everyones daily workflow way easier. Personal favorites are absolutly the highest requested feature by the users.
    At the current state favorites are basically impossible to use in our context.

• Thank you for sharing your use case with us, @Lu1502. I have passed it on to our developers, and added a vote for the feature on your behalf. πŸ‘

• pjotr1977
    pjotr1977
    Community Member

+1 I don't need to see the favorites of my colleagues in 1password for teams, very annoying change in version 8. Make the favorites personal again please.

• Hello @pjotr1977 - Thanks, your vote has been recorded. πŸ‘

• Orko
    Orko
    Community Member

Since version 8.5 we are not on version 8.8. Any update on this feature being updated?

• Hi @Orko, this is certainly still on our teams radar however I don't have any timeline to share as to if or when this will be implemented in 1Password 8. Thanks again for reaching out.

Ali

• posttoast
    posttoast
    Community Member

Another vote from me: this β€œfeature” makes the favorites function completely useless. Which sucks because I have been using this a lot in the past.

• Zach1234
    Zach1234
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

This is a much needed feature. I work in a team with shared vaults that only some have access to edit. So not only can I not remove a favorite that an admin has added and I will never use, I can't add anything in the vaults that are read only to my favorites. This make the feature completely useless.

• Thanks for your votes, @posttoast and @Zach1234. I've included them with this feature request for consideration by the product team. πŸ‘

ref: IDEA-I-104

• whomwah
    whomwah
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

If you could +1 from me too. This issue has been around a loooong time. https://1password.community/discussion/105039/favourite-items-are-being-added-by-another-person-in-my-team (2019) and I’m very surprised no progress has been made as well as the fact pretty much the same response has been give.

• Hi @whomwah,

As requested, I've added a +1 for you. Thanks for your continued patience.

ref: IDEA-I-104

• cboettcher
    cboettcher
    Community Member

Yes, I'd like to join the chorus of users who think Favorites should be per-user and not an attribute associated with an item. The latter model quickly devolves into a cluttered mess when working at the enterprise level.

• Hello @cboettcher,

Thanks for your feedback about favourites being a per-user attribute. I've included your comments for the Product team.

ref: 30010305

• motleybard
    motleybard
    Community Member

Add my vote please.
    Out of curiosity, how mush crap has the product design team caught for this? 🀣

• Hello @motleybard,

I'm not privy to all feedback provided to our Product team about specific feature requests. I've sent your details along so the team is aware of your desire to see improvements here with Favourites being per-user. Thanks!

ref: 30010305

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member

Came here to ask why my co-workers' favorite items are showing in my favorites.

I've used favorites for a long time, but, apparently my Team member co-workers have discovered this feature.

I figured it was bugged or something as "random" items began showing in my favorites and I promptly removed them.

I only realized later this was a "global"/item feature and me removing favorites are actually removing them for those that did the favoriting on my Team.

Please add my +1 to allow for "Personal Favorites". As it is, it's confusing for Teams/Families with people adding/removing things mistakenly when seeing "random" items show up in the list.

• Hi @wagnerone, thanks for providing the details on your use case here! I've filed your feedback with our Product team as well πŸ˜„

ref: 32802700

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

1PW should at least show a clear warning about favorites being shared. From a security perspective the current solution is less than ideal. My understanding/expectation is that a favorite is initially private and only shared if I explicitly set it to shared.

• Hi @viswiz, thanks for your input! I can definitely understand how a message in the app about favourites being global would be helpful here. I've passed this feedback along to our product team πŸ˜„

ref: 32827944

• jimjuce
    jimjuce
    Community Member

+1 to make favorites unique to user and not item. For a business this feature is otherwise useless.

• Hi @jimjuce, thanks for adding your +1 here! I've filed your feedback with our product team πŸ˜„

ref: 33348123

• MLerager
    MLerager
    Community Member

+1 for this, shared favorites makes as little sense as warm coca cola

• Hey @MLerager, thanks for the +1! I've submitted your feedback to our Product team as well.

• jketelaar
    jketelaar
    Community Member

Really annoying behavior and would like to see this changed ASAP as well