Universal Autofill not honoring "never show in browser"

Options

Hi,

This applies to both Universal Autofill and the form field mini-drop-down menu.

Not only is it not honoring this record attribute (resulting a seriously cluttered proffered list of records in our case because we make extensive use of the "never show in browser" feature, it doesn't look like that attribute is visible/editable in v8.

Is this an oversight or was it intentionally removed?

Thanks!
Mike

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

This feature removal is lowering my team's efficiency as they switch to v8. Any insight as to when this functionality might be restored? If not, we'll have to consider some significant workflow and record updating to prevent years(?) of "hidden to the browser" items from flooding our form filling suggestions.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

It's been a while on this one, so I'm checking back in.

Please accept this as a "feature re-establishment request".

Should I be submitting these in a more formal manner or is this the best way to convey these issues?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@wagnerone

No, no need to submit elsewhere. I've got you penciled in. I can't make any promises but I'll continue to advocate for you.

ref: IDEA-I-281

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

Have you given thought to creating another vault and then using collections to exclude that non wanted vault data?

Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy!

I could go down the collections route, but then I'd have to document the process and get everyone in my org to do this too because it's a per-user setup, no?

I'd rather not have to split these items into various vaults and have people swap between vaults/collections. They have a hard enough time just using 1Password :D (not because 1Password is remotely difficult to use, mind you!)

• ag_tommy
    Options

@wagnerone

Yes, collections are logical groupings of vaults by the user. I'll advocate on your behalf. I'm afraid I can't make any promises on when or if the functionality will arrive.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Interesting (and frustrating!) choice to remove something that's been there as long as this has. We've been using that feature for years. :(

Our team has 1000's of records and it'll be time consuming to refit our process.

• Ben
    Options

I can empathize with that. The flip side of the coin is that it caused a ton of pain for people who accidentally set it, set it and forgot they'd done so, or someone else they were sharing the item with set it. It was used intentionally so infrequently that even many of the folks on our team would forget it existed. Customers would write in and say they had an item saved in 1Password and everything looked correct (correct URL, etc) but the item wouldn't show up in their browser when they visited the site. It would sometimes take multiple exchanges and escalations to figure out this setting was the cause. At the end of the day it was determined it wasn't providing a good user experience and so it was axed.

Fortunately, there are still ways to accomplish a similar outcome that don't have the downsides this feature had. There may very well still be room for improvement in this area, but using collections for this purpose is where we've landed so far.

Ben

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not seeing value in Collections, but maybe I've not explored it enough. I will revisit the announcement/video about it. At first glance, it seems awkward and inefficient to be continuously flipping between vaults/collections of vaults.

Ironically, not having "All Vaults" selected tripped me up filling forms way more than "never show in browser" did.

Feeling a bit unsupported as a "power user" that read the docs and used the advanced features over the years. Seems several of them have been stripped out and I'm being surprised as I encounter these, but it's too late to voice my dismay really at this stage. While it does happen from time-to-time, I am unaccustomed to features being removed for new software releases typically.

Is there a list of features that were removed so I'm not surprised each time I find one?

How does one participate in whatever surveys there might be for such feature removal in the future?

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

How do I identify all the of items our teams have marked as "never show in browser" in order to bulk move them to various other newly created "archive" vaults?

I presume the database schema still retains the field, but I can't see it.

Since the feature has been removed, I need a way to deal with the remnants and recover from this situation.

• Ben
    Options

@wagnerone

I'm not seeing value in Collections, but maybe I've not explored it enough

Collections is really an expansion on the All Vaults feature we had in 1Password 7. With v7 you could customize which vaults appeared in All Vaults, but there was only one set. Either a vault was included in it or not. Collections allow for more flexibility in that you can have multiple. If it helps to have some examples, these are some of the collections I have:

1. Daily Driver — includes all of the Personal vaults from my various accounts, and the shared vaults that are likely to contain items I want to look at regularly
    2. Vocation — my work related items (including test items)
    3. Test — only test items (handy for taking screenshots to share here)
    4. Avocation — the vaults pertaining to the volunteer work I do

I use my Daily Driver collection most of the time, but with switch as my context switches.

Since the feature has been removed, I need a way to deal with the remnants and recover from this situation.

The quickest/easiest thing might be to install 1Password 7 and use it to identify the items flagged as such. Then move them to a new vault before switching back to 1Password
    12. I am investigating any possible alternatives, but that would be what comes to mind first.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.