"Always show password and full credit card numbers" does not apply in edit mode

Options

I have "Always show password and full credit card numbers" enabled in preferences. Indeed, when viewing entries, password and credit card numbers are shown. But when editing entries, the passwords and credit card numbers change to dots, at least until I click into those fields. Arguably, it's when editing entries that I most want to see these numbers; and it is useful to be able to see them not only after having clicked into those fields. But perhaps most importantly, I would argue that, for the sake of a consistent user experience, and for the sake of being true to what your app preferences promise, "Always show password and full credit card numbers" should mean exactly that. Ie, these numbers should be shown even when editing entries.

1Password Version: 8.5.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.1

Comments

• Hi @dgbeecher, thanks for this suggestion. I've re-created the workflow and it's as you've noted here. Given that, I've passed the report on our development team. Thanks for pointing this out, we do appreciate it!

ref: dev/core/core#12863

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

How goes the work on this issue? I find it perplexing that the "Always show password and full credit card numbers" setting does not apply always (as the setting name suggests it should). It is especially when I'm in edit mode that I wish to see the full passwords and credit card numbers, and yet this is when 1Password decides to hide them.

• Hi @dgbeecher, I don't have anything new to report on this yet, sorry. But I did file the issue at the time of the last reply, so it's in the system and our developers are aware of it. I'll hope to have more for you on this in a future update!

• dgbeecher
    dgbeecher
    Community Member
    Options

Guess I am just checking in on this issue again. The issue, as a reminder, is that the "Always show password and full credit card numbers" setting should apply always, including when an item is in edit mode. Currently, when switching from view to edit mode, passwords switch from being shown (if this setting is enabled) to hidden. The behavior is inconsistent with how the setting is labeled, which implies that passwords numbers should always be shown -- ie, including when in edit mode. It's also inconsistent with how credit card numbers are treated -- they are indeed always shown (even in edit mode). And furthermore, edit mode is when I most wish to see passwords displayed.

If any other users happen to read this and agree, please add your +1. Thanks.

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hello again @dgbeecher,

Thanks for your message and checking in regarding this behaviour with concealed fields in edit mode, when the Always show password and full credit card numbers setting is disabled. This has been reported to the dev team but we don't have a timeframe for a fix for this issue, but you can keep an eye out for updates here: 1Password Releases

We appreciate your patience!

ref: dev/core/core#12863

This discussion has been closed.