[1P8] Unable to sign in

Kev0909
Kev0909
Community Member

Hi,
I just saw the blog post about 1P v8 and thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, I've been unable to sign in so far. Are there any known issues regarding .EU users/ servers?

I've tried most sign in methods so far and I always end up seeing an endless loading icon/ animation.
After entering my details (username, password, key), the app asks me to choose between Security key and Authenticator code. After "successfully" using my NFC key, it just shows the loading animation endlessly. Choosing Authenticator code, it immediately shows the loading animation without asking for a code.

What I've tried:

• Using v8 with and without v7.9.2 installed
  • Scanning Setup Code
  • Entering account details
  • Signing in on 1Password.com (had to change the .com to .eu in my browser for the redirect to work at all; the region changer at the bottom of the page doesn't work since it doesn't seem to lead to the redirect link but to the standard login page)

I have also tried:

• disabling my firewall & DNS-blocker
  • restarting my phone

Judging by the screenshots, it looks pretty nice! Would love to join the early access! :)

1Password Version: 8.8.0-56.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12

Comments

• tvandinter
    tvandinter
    Community Member

Just adding a "me too", in the US. Saw a post this morning about early access, so downloaded the app. It asks for my password and for a while it was just spinning. This afternoon it would then prompt me for 2FA. I successfully authenticated w/ my USB Security Key, and then it just sits spinning. If I try Authenticator Code instead, it just sits and spins immediately. I tried at several different times, trying different methods to specify account information, also going in and clearing the app cache and storage to start over clean, nothing seems to work.

Phone: Pixel 6, Android 12 (May 5 2022 update).

• ankhazam
    ankhazam
    Community Member

Yup, had some issues to... managed to login in using the Sign in another device QR code...

• @Kev0909 @tvandinter @ankhazam thanks for reporting this bug to us! It seems that we introduced a regression with 2FA during our sign-in flow relatively recently. I've got my team looking into it now and we should hopefully have a fix for this soon.

• Kev0909
    Kev0909
    Community Member

@mverde Thanks for the quick response and the info that it's a 2FA issue. I was able to sign into the v8 app now by temporarily disabling my 2FA, but since I've re-enabled it again, it's asking me to verify using a 2FA method whenever I open the app. I can now at least play around a little with the app but for anyone who might try the same: Sync isn't working since the app can't verify the user's identity via 2FA.

Would be great to get an update here if possible when it's fixed. Thanks again!

• Greco
    Greco
    Community Member

Same thing here, nice to see you're already working on the issue.
    I'm looking forward to any updates on this so I can try it again, 1P8 looks very good!

• zer0r00t
    zer0r00t
    Community Member

+1 cannot sign in

• WeeVeeDee
    WeeVeeDee
    Community Member

Same problem for me. Tried 2FA with authentication code, spinner comes up and never quits :-)

• acb
    acb
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue using both OTP from Authy and Security Key via NFC. Google Pixel 6 w/May 5 update.

• Hey @Greco, @zer0r00t, @WeeVeeDee, @acb thanks for letting us know you're running into the same problem! As mverde mentioned, the dev team is looking into this and we'll be sure to update here when we have more information.

@Kev0909 just so we're on the same page, after signing into 1Password 8 and re-enabling 2FA for your account, if you authenticate do you still get the endless loading animation?

• Kev0909
    Kev0909
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

@ag_timothy No loading animation. This is pretty much what's happening:
    1. Disable 2FA
    2. Log into v8
    3. Re-enable 2FA
    4. Open v8
    5. Request-to-authenticate-via-2FA window/ overlay pops up (Two-Factor Authentication Required \n Choose a second factor to authenticate {username} \n Security key \n Authentication Code \n Cancel")
    5.1.0. Tap Security key
    5.1.1. Use NFC key
    5.1.2. No confirmation, but app can be used as expected (except for sync feature)
    5.2.0. Tap Authentication Code
    5.2.1. Request overlay disappears, but app can be used as expected (except for sync feature)
    5.3.0. Tap Cancel
    5.3.1. Request overlay disappears, but app can be used as expected (except for sync feature)
    5.4.0. Tap outside of/ above overlay/ popup
    5.4.1. Request overlay disappears, but app can be used as expected (except for sync feature)
    6. Close app
    7. Open app / Repeat from step 4.

I hope this makes it somewhat clear. If this needs further clarification, let me know.

• @Kev0909 thanks for confirming those details. The fact that sync doesn't work after doing that indicates that you still aren't able to authenticate with the server. The good news is that lines up with our expectations based on what we've determined is the root cause of the bug. We should have a fix for all of you soon.

• donatom3
    donatom3
    Community Member

Thought I was going crazy. Happened on both my Pixel 6 Pro and Tab S8. Can't wait for the fix and to try this out.

• @donatom3 we'll post here once we have the fix available in an update 👍

• Kev0909
    Kev0909
    Community Member

@mverde Quick update: I wanted to have some items synced yesterday and turned off 2FA. After turning it back on, I was able to authenticate via TOTP in v8 and now everything seems to be working well. (I didn't try authenticating before disabling and re-enabling 2FA again.) Not sure if you would recommend others try as well since I suppose the fix isn't "official" yet.

Just thought I should let you know.

• @Kev0909 thanks for letting us know this worked for you! We'll be sure to post here when the "official" fix is available in an update.

• @Kev0909, @tvandinter, @ankhazam, @Greco, @zer0r00t, @WeeVeeDee, @acb, @donatom3

Just letting everyone know this issue has been resolved in the current version, 80800104. You can open the 1Password 8 page in the Google Play Store and tap Update to confirm you have the current version. We would love to hear your feedback!

• Kev0909
    Kev0909
    Community Member

@ag_timothy I just quickly checked by signing out and in again. TOTP as well as NFC key worked without any issues now. Also tried re-installing the app and signing in via QR code and it worked as expected. Thanks for the fix!

The only issue/ inconvenience is still signing in via the website as a .EU user as mentioned in my initial post, but I suppose that would be something for the web dev team to solve.

• donatom3
    donatom3
    Community Member

Worked for me on both my devices.

• @donatom3 Thanks for confirming that worked for you!

@Kev0909 Thank you as well! In your initial post you mentioned:

the region changer at the bottom of the page doesn't work since it doesn't seem to lead to the redirect link but to the standard login page

Apologies if I missed it but can you clarify the bottom of which page? I'd be happy to pass along this feedback to the appropriate team.

• Kev0909
    Kev0909
    Community Member

@ag_timothy Sure, I don't think I clarified it enough:
    1. Signing in with the 1P app gives you the option to log in via the website.
    2. That sends the user to start.1password.com/native/signin using the default browser as expected.
    3. As a .com user, each option there just seems to send you back to the app unless you manually go to my.1password.com before going to start.1password.com/native/signin. I would expect there to be an actual web sign in option.
    4. As a .eu/ .ca/ ent. user, clicking on the button for the region you're registered in (<html><body><button class="menu-button--menu"></body></html>) and choosing the region leads you to my.1password.eu/signin?a=new.
    4.1. Signing in there just logs the user in on the web version of 1P but doesn't send the user back to the actual app.
    4.2. I would instead expect to be redirected back to start.1password.eu/native/signin from start.1password.com/native/signin after choosing my region, and also expect to find a login option there instead of just an explanation where to find my secret key.

Now a slight issue with the 1Pv8 Android app itself that I just noticed:
    5. After signing in via the browser via my.1password.eu, then manually going to start.1password.eu/native/signin, then choosing my already logged in account, I get redirected to the app as expected.
    6. In the app, however, I'm back at the login options window (Scan...; ... with Emergency Kit; ... on 1P.com; ... account details), which means that the Sign in on 1Password.com option didn't actual do anything but create unnecessary additional steps for the user.

I hope this explanation is understandable. If not, let me know.

• WeeVeeDee
    WeeVeeDee
    Community Member

Update worked for me for logging in. Will switch to the beta as my main driver to see if I find any other issues.

• @Kev0909, thank you for that detailed explanation. When you select "Sign in on 1Password.com" you should be redirected to your default browser and presented with any of your accounts authorized on that browser. That includes accounts on 1Password.ca and .eu. If you don't have any accounts authorized in that browser you will be prompted to find your sign in information elsewhere.

However, you're certainly right that selecting .ca, .eu or enterprise will let you bypass this and you can sign in without any redirects. Selecting an authorized account also seems to send you back to 1Password 8 without any account details. That definitely doesn't seem right and I've gone ahead and raised this issue with the team. Thanks again!

@WeeVeeDee, thanks for letting us know that worked for you! We're excited to hear your feedback!

• zer0r00t
    zer0r00t
    Community Member

Signing in seems to work now. Great

• Hey, @zer0r00t, thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear everything is working for you!

This discussion has been closed.