What happened to Safari's browser auto-fill shortcut on 1P8?

Options
GotMilk4
GotMilk4
Community Member
edited May 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

This is less of a question from my perspective and more from my parents, who share in my 1Password Family account and use a Mac combined with Safari for their day to day browsing.

I've upgraded them to 1Password 8 and immediately heard that they couldn't auto-fill on websites anymore. On 1Password 7, they would navigate to whatever website's login form, use the ⌘ + \ shortcut which would pop up 1Password asking for the master password, and once entered fill the login details for that site into Safari. In 1Password 8, this does not work anymore - the ⌘ + \ shortcut now pulls up the new Quick Access feature, which doesn't seem to know what site Safari is currently open unlike the browser auto-fill for 1Password 7. Searching for the right credentials does work, but required me to enable 1Password in the accessibility options which leads me to believe it's using the new Universal Auto-Fill feature to complete the auto-fill rather than an integration with the browser which seems less ideal for Safari since it doesn't have the context of the page being rendered to discover fields.

I've browsed around this forum and came across some employees suggesting that the 1Password Safari Extension has to be installed alongside 1Password 8 for browser functionality to work. I went ahead and installed it from the Mac App Store, but that hasn't changed any behaviour - ⌘ + \ still doesn't auto-fill like it used to, and I can't find another shortcut that performs the same action as 1Password 7 would.

Even the support page for Keyboard Shortcuts suggests that the "Command-Backslash ()" shortcut is the "Fill in Browser" action.

How can I restore the ⌘ + \ shortcut in Safari to automatically auto-fill for the current website? The fact that this behaviour changed between 1Password 7 to 8 is frustrating, as my parents are not particularly tech-literate people and it took some time to get them used to the concept of a password manager and using the auto-fill as it existed. I could return to 1Password 7 but that feels like kicking a can down the road; as far as I understand it support for 1Password 7 has basically stopped now and I don't want to leave them on a version that's not in support anymore. The 1Password 8 for Mac blog post doesn't mention any changes to existing shortcuts or flows, and neither did the installer/welcome on first run after 1Password 8 installation. If these changes to behaviour are by design, it would have been nice to know beforehand - preferably in an intuitive manner, through the installer or on the welcome screen after first launch.

They have also mentioned the 1Password 7 archives that appeared in the /Applications directory after 1Password 8 installation. I know this is the downgrade path back to 1Password 7, but again nothing indicated that this would happen (the installer really should have explained this) and somehow they ended up with two duplicate archives instead of one.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.4

Comments

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

I've found some additional details:

• Assigning the "browser auto-fill" shortcut in 1Password to another key combination doesn't help.
    • If 1Password is already unlocked, then browser auto-fill works as expected. Pressing the key combination for auto-fill in Safari correctly enters in usernames and passwords and auto-submits. However, if 1Password is locked, then pressing the key combination for auto-fill displays the main 1Password window to unlock, and after entering the master password displays Quick Access (with no suggestion to fill for the current website even, it's as if someone pressed the key combination for Quick Access on the desktop). Closing out of Quick Access and pressing the key combination for auto-fill a second time then properly fills credentials and submits as expected.

In 1Password 7, regardless of the lock state, the shortcut key for browser auto-fill would trigger the unlock of 1Password (if required) and automatically fill and submit login information.

How can I make 1Password 8 work in this same way that 1Password 7 did?

• Worrywart1044
    Worrywart1044
    Community Member
    Options

I concur with GotMilk4's comments. Downloaded 1PW8 this morning and found Open & Autofill isn't working. A new browser window opens but just sits there. Command-\ inserts the Username and Password but taking that Autofill feature away until you enter another shortcut seems to be going backwards when 1PW7 opened and autofilled just fine.

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

Bumping this thread. I can see 1Password team members have been replying to other threads that are newer than this one. It's a little frustrating to have seem to have fallen through the cracks. Can someone from the 1Password team please take a look and provide some suggestions?

• Hey @GotMilk4:

Thanks for following up on this. 1Password should definitely be detecting which site is in focus using Universal Autofill and suggesting the appropriate Login(s), even when 1Password is locked, so that doesn't sound quite right. I see you've reached out to us as well via email, so continuing the conversation there would be best. One of my colleagues will be with you soon, so please keep an eye out.

Jack

ref: BRA-48895-819

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jack.P_1P, I'll keep an eye on my inbox.

• ictflyguy
    ictflyguy
    Community Member
    Options

I too am experiencing this issue in 1P8, where Command + \ does not auto fill the password field. I see above where Jack suggests to @GotMilk4 to check their email. Please advise to the community what the recommendation is. Thank you

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

@ictflyguy unfortunately I have nothing to share. I had a back and forth with support in which they first tried to suggest that this was somehow the expected behaviour of Universal Autofill, then when shown a screen recording of the issue said they couldn't reproduce the issue and to try the latest beta, which I did try but the issue persists there too. They then said they filed an issue with the development team and "please be patient", which was mildly amusing/irritating as they didn't mention that once you upgrade to the beta version you can't easily downgrade back to stable since the database on the beta isn't backwards compatible with stable. For me, moving from stable to beta didn't solve anything but introduced new issues and left me in an annoying spot.

I ended up completely blowing away the 1Password 8 installation and going back to 1Password 7 for the time being. I couldn't keep 8 and just hope that issues get sorted out sooner rather than later. I continued to dig into the issue though and eventually came across this post by a 1Password employee. Most notable is this quote:

Close! Safari is actually the one browser where we're explicitly not reaching out to the browser extension to perform fills right now, instead relying entirely on accessibility-based filling (when using CMD + ). This is due to some challenges we've had getting the Safari extension to quickly and reliably perform actions when requested by the desktop app. We're actively working on this issue and we hope to be able to use the Safari extension to perform fills when using CMD + \ in the future, just like every other browser.

This might explain a lot. It turns out that in 1Password 8, the app-to-browser extension link just doesn't exist for Safari and it relies on Universal Autofill instead (as if Safari was a different non-browser app). This is the only time this limitation appears to be mentioned - other employees answering similar questions act as if this link does exist and should be functional (take a look at this example where an employee replies to that poster's issue suggesting: "It's possible that the delay you're seeing is coming from how the extension and app communicate to fill via the shortcut." - even though this communication does not exist in 1Password 8, as we now know from a developer), it's not mentioned in any release notes despite it being a known issue and a clear limitation of Safari integration. I for one do not think 1Password 8 should have launched with this limitation and should have waited until the underlying issues preventing a full Safari integration were resolved, or at the very least should have appeared in release notes/blog posts as a known limitation so customers could understand the potential consequences of upgrading.

As a multi-year customer of 1Password, I can't help but be disappointed. "Please be patient" is not a great answer when key functionality doesn't work. I can go back to 1Password 7, sure - and I have done that - but AgileBits' commitment to continued support for 1Password 7 is unclear, given that they openly stated that it will receive zero support originally and had to walk back that statement to "important security updates only" when they saw how upset customers were with that. If it were me personally, I'd be fine with taking that risk, but it's my family that this impacts - who took a fair amount of convincing to use a password manager in the first place and were frustrated at the whole concept because 1Password 8 did not work for them. Now I'm stuck with them using a questionably-supported "legacy" version because the "new, in-support" version doesn't work the way it's expected to.

My subscription will be due up near the end of July so we'll see what the state of 1Password 8 is come then. Hopefully these issues are ironed out, otherwise I'll be looking at alternatives to move to. I have no real intention of staying on 1Password 7 long-term.

• ictflyguy
    ictflyguy
    Community Member
    Options

I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond. It would be fine with me if someone from Agilebits just said, yeah, we found out it doesn't work, we are sorry about that and we hope to have it up and running again soon. Simple, direct & honest always works. It takes a lot less writing than the paragraphs I saw in response to the issue. Auto fill was not a feature I ever asked for, but when I found the option I enjoyed using it and would think the best of the previous would be good features for the next greatest product.

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

I agree. Unfortunately it took another customer diving deep into logs to discover that the 1Password app to Safari browser extension doesn't work as advertised and only when presented with evidence does a developer come along and admit that this is the case. I do understand to some degree why they don't necessarily want to be forthcoming with these limitations; the reception of 1Password 8 as a whole doesn't seem to have been great and I would imagine they're not eager to give more reasons to those undecided if they want to stay with 1Password and push them over the fence.

The irony however is not lost on me in that I originally posted this in the Mac section of the forum and it was silently moved to the 1Password in the Browser section, which clearly seems to be the wrong section given what we know now.

• akinooo
    akinooo
    Community Member
    Options

Hope AgileBits is reading this still. The scenario of just unlocking 1password from the browser is broken and this is a regression from v7. If I'm going to nuke the install to downgrade to v7, that in itself is a signal that I should probably just try a new solution. Mainline scenarios shouldn't break in a nominal "upgrade".

• Animale
    Animale
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this thread and your thorough work to try & get to the bottom of the issue. I am been using 1Password for well over a decade and have been very disappointed with this “feature” in 8 which I installed a couple of weeks back. Stunning that Agilebits are not responding to this question, and that the issue has been known for months without progress. This is the first time I find myself considering alternatives for managing passwords.

This discussion has been closed.