1P 8 (mac) not copying one time passwords to the clipboard

khaosspawn
khaosspawn
Community Member
edited November 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I have gone through to set up OTPs for a lot of websites - and 1P 7 handles this perfectly. I pick the login from the drop down, the OTP copies to the clipboard - and I can paste in the next field.

1P 8 doesn't seem to do this - OR I can't figure out how to enable this. Without OTPs copying automatically - it's not really usable - way too much work vs. 1P 7.

Any ideas? It's well possible I goofed something up.

1Password Version: 80200044
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.5.2

Comments

• @khaosspawn

What browser are you using? What version of the extension? Or are you talking about copying them out of the Mac app?

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

Safari, 1Password for Safari 2.0.6.

This is all related to filling out websites. I can copy details from the app manually just fine. But the 1P 7 plugin (7.8.7) would copy the OTP to clipboard after filling out the user/password in a website - and I could paste it in the field as it popped up.

• Hmm, that's weird I have noticed that on a few of my sites that I can fill the details and then click into the OTP field and have it fill.
    Thanks for the report I'll see if anyone else is experiencing this behavior.

To make sure I am testing properly are you on a M1 or Intel based Mac? I am using an M1. I would not expect a difference but you never know.

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

M1, using the arm64 desktop app. I'll try a restart - but like I said - please let me know if I goofed anything up - or need to do anything else.

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member
    edited August 2021

@ag_tommy - Just to clarify - I don't need to click anything with 1P7.

I browse to my website and go to the login page. Then:

1. I click on the username - get the little drop down.
    2. Select the account to use and it fills in user/pass.
    3. Click the website Login to move to the OTP section.
    4. 1P7 automatically copies the OTP to clipboard and then I just CMD + V into the field and Submit.

1P8 extension doesn't do part 4.

• @khaosspawn AFAIK, there should be no need to copy it to the clipboard, the new extension should be filling for you on the page automatically when you select the OTP field.

• StevenBedrick
    StevenBedrick
    Community Member

At least under 1P7, there are plenty of websites where that auto-fill doesn't work for whatever reason, and then of course there are situations where an OTP code is needed in e.g. a third party application of some kind, etc. where there is no 1Password integration. So it is extremely useful to have it on the clipboard...

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

For 1P7 it depends on the website.

1. Some websites (Amazon.com) - it fills out OTP automatically.
    2. But some (eg. Fidelity) it can't fill the OTP automatically - so it copies the OTP to clipboard, you get a notification, and you can paste.

1P8 doesn't do part 2.

• Sorry folks! It has been a very long day. I totally missed not being copied to the clipboard. That's on me. With that, I think I'll call it a day. See you tomorrow.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @khaosspawn.

I'll look into the filling on Fidelity and potentially bringing back the ability to have OTPs copy to the clipboard automatically. We never had that in our WebExtensions because we couldn't restore the previous clipboard, which leads to some pretty bad UX. However, in Safari or any other browser with a desktop app, we can use system APIs.

In the meantime, if you find more pages that don't automatically fill OTP (clicking into the field can help there, too), please let us know, and we can likely get support added quickly.

• Hey @khaosspawn. I wanted to look into the Fidelity issue you mentioned, but it doesn't look like they support standard TOTP, just SMS and the Symantec VIP app. Is this a special account type or perhaps a different site from the norm? Any additional clarification you might have so we can look into this is most appreciated. :smile:

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

Really the main thing is to have the OTP copied to the clipboard the way the 1P7 addon does it (and after about 30s it reverts the clipboard back). Not all websites have a standard OTP method - and having it copied to the clipboard was a great solution!

eg. a lot of sites for work that are not public facing.

• SparxSLX
    SparxSLX
    Community Member

This copying issues is also happening for me on Windows. I'm using Firefox and while existing codes will prefill. When i add 2FA codes to new login entry and need to copy the code to proceed it doesn't save to clipboard.

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

Any update on this issue? I noticed with the latest build (1Password for Mac 8.2.2-72) that OTPs are still not copied to the clipboard. I have a lot of internal work sites which 1password will never be able to auto fill. The copy to clipboard feature from 1p7 was great - as I just could CMD+v to paste in the OTP into the relevant field.

• wmernagh
    wmernagh
    Community Member

Any update on this problem? It is still not copying to the clipboard for me nor does it fill the field in for me. I notice this most in Okta that I use many times a day.

• SkiBum
    SkiBum
    Community Member

This is a problem for me as well. Any update?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for checking in on this.

To clarify, this is not an issue, but a feature we knowingly decided not to implement in 1Password for the browser as it should automatically autofill the TOTP/2FA code for you after you autofill the username and password.

I have added everyone's voice here to an existing feature request we have to add that functionality.
    For now, if you encounter websites where the TOTP/2FA field is not being autofilled, let us know the website's URL so we can test it here and improve things so that autofilling works :+1:

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron - my work uses a 2FA. There's no way you'll be able to test it (it's not public). Right now - the 2FA doesn't auto populate into the field (is there any way to train it?) because the 2FA screen is not directly after the password.

The sequence is
    1. User/Password page
    2. Select 2FA Method (SMS, App)
    3. Enter 2FA

Because 1P7 copies the password to clipboard - I can just paste it in the field. 1P8 is left hanging. I'd love to help you improve auto-filling - but I'm not sure how ...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @khaosspawn ,

If you click the 1Password extension icon in your browser and select "Autofill" from there, does it autofill the 2FA field then? If not, right-click anywhere on the page and select "1Password" -> "Help" -> "Collect page structure" and send us the downloaded file to support+x@1password.com along with a short description of the issue and a link to this discussion here.

Hopefully we'll be able to train 1Password better for that specific page after we get the structure from you :)

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

Will do - is that going to work even with the 3 page sequence that I illustrated above? I sent the .json file to the email.

• Hello @khaosspawn,

Thank you for contacting us via email. Let us work on the issue there, and we can update the results here after.

ref: DBM-12765-731

• khaosspawn
    khaosspawn
    Community Member

Replied to your email but - it worked! What an easy fix!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That is great to hear, thank you for the update @khaosspawn!

• markemark
    markemark
    Community Member

Same thing had been happening to me.

Mac OSX 12.3.1
    Chrome 101.0.4951.64
    1Password Password Manager extension v2.3.4

The 2FA One Time Passcode is never copied, so I always have to double click into 1password extension.
    1 - to autofill username and password
    2 - then again to find and copy the OTP - then manually past

Website is - https://www.namecheap.com/

I have sent email to support+x@1password.com - Awaiting response.

• Hey @markemark:

It looks like my colleagues were able to get you sorted out. Feel free to reach out if there's anything else we can help you with.

Jack

ref: FIF-81692-423

• markemark
    markemark
    Community Member

Hey @Jack.P_1P

Thanks all fixed now.

Cause by 2 things.

1 - I was running 1 Password 7 - the update didn't automatically upgrade me to 1 Password 8 - I had to install from fresh download - The app also changed name (from 1 password 7 - to 1 Password) - I had to manually uninstall 1 Password 7.

2 - The One Password field on this website had the wrong field name - once corrected - all worked.

thanks

• fthomsen
    fthomsen
    Community Member

Hey!
    We use a software that request the OTP as extension to the regular password in the same field. So if your password is "supersecret" and the OTP "123456" it expects "supersecret123456" in the password field.
    It was so easy to enter OTP from clipboard in that case. Do you have also a workaround for this?
    thanks ;-)

• fthomsen
    fthomsen
    Community Member

anyone? ;-)

• Hi @fthomsen ,

Sorry for the delay in our reply.

Can you let me know the following details:

• Are you using Mac or Windows?
    • Are you trying to fill in a web app or desktop app?
    • If it is a web app, which browser are you using?
    • Version 1Password (desktop app and extension)

Generally speaking, I'd recommend copying/pasting your login information from 1Password. Another option is to Drag and Drop your login details to the input field: How to drag and drop. The Drag and Drop feature is supported with the 1Password in the browser as well as the desktop app:

• fthomsen
    fthomsen
    Community Member

Hi Kevin!
    I use MacOS 12.4, M1 Pro, 1Password 8.7.1 and Chrome 102.0.5005.61 with extension 2.3.5
    It is possible to double copy/paste or drag&drop as you mentioned.
    But it was much easier before as the OTP was in the clipboard after auto-fill.

This discussion has been closed.