How to search for something dot something (text.text) ?

Options
maincoffee
maincoffee
Community Member

Hi

The best thing about Search in 1P in Windows is that it defaults to all vaults. On the other side, searching many items, there need to be some way to narrow or specify your search.

When I try to search for name@gmail.com, it works ok. When I try to search for name.a@gmail.com, the search result is very broad. I can't see exactly what is matched, maybe @gmail.com.

Does . (dot) signify something in search? I looked at the help page for search commands, it doesn't look like something like "exact match" or +exactmatch is supported?

Regards,
Maincoffee

1Password Version: 8.8.0 (80800021, on BETA channel)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Referrer: forum-search:search

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is that 1PW8 splits your phrase into separate words at certain boundaries like an uppercase letter, a dot, … and instead of searching for all those words (AND) it searches for every word separately (OR). Furthermore another problem of this kind of search is that searching for partial words doesn’t work too, e. g. I have an item named Openweathermap. Entering wea doesn‘t find the entry. This worked perfectly fine in all previous versions.
    AgileBits knows about this problem since the beginning of early access tests but they still haven‘t fixed it.

• maincoffee
    maincoffee
    Community Member
    Options

Boolean OR defaults were not pretty in 1998 (hello, AltaVista), they sure are not pretty in 2022 either.

• Hi @maincoffee, thanks for this question. We're continually working on improving the search feature, and appreciate you letting us know about your experience with this.

Since you're on version 8.8 Beta, have you tried the find feature we recently introduced? This might be closer to what you're looking for. You can access this using ctrl-alt-f. I'll be interested to learn if you feel this is a step in the right direction. Thanks again for the feedback!

• maincoffee
    maincoffee
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P, thank you for your reply. I was not familiar with the new feature. I've tried out Find (Ctrl+Alt+F). Here are my initial notes:

It works!

My original post in this thread has a case, where the Item is saved as "Firstname Lastname (lastnamefirstname@gmail.com)" and the username is saved as "lastname.firstname@gmail.com". As opposed to Search, Find correctly returns the Item if I type lastname and continue with the first letter of firstname, and if instead I type lastname and continue with . (dot) and the firstletter of firstname. In other words, it matches the title/name of the Item as well as the username field.

That's how far I've gotten in testing it.

• maincoffee
    maincoffee
    Community Member
    Options

For the usability:

Maybe I misunderstood something and this implementation is a temporary one before moving the Find feature to replace Search?

What I need: A Find searchbar that's easily accessible, like Search is at top of 1password main windows and in the ctrl+shift+. (dot) shortcut from whereever in Windows.

I'd like if the shortcut works both after it's activated and after focus has changed.

Steps:
    1. I'm in the 1password window, just opened from doubleclicking the tray icon (default in my setup).
    2. The cursor is in the "Search in [accountname]" bar.
    3. I press ctrl+alt+f, the Find bar opens and the cursor is now in the Find bar.
    4. I search "game.." and the resulting Items are shown.
    5. I select one of the items by a single click. It is now highlighted and the Item is presented at the right.
    6. I press ctrl+alt+f again to alter my query or type a different one. Nothing happens.
    7. I single-click in the free space below the Item. The highlighted item is no longer highlighted.
    8. I press ctrl+alt+f. Nothing happens.
    9. I single-click the X in the Find bar. Find disappears, replaced again with the All Categories menu. Now ctrl+alt+f works as expected.

[English is not my first language, I will not be offended if you ask me to clarify :) ]

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @maincoffee, thanks for this reply!

First, it's great to know that the Find feature works well for you - and we appreciate that feedback.

The Find feature was introduced recently in response to what we have been hearing from people in the community. Originally in 1Password 8 there was just Search, but since there have been cases like yours where it wasn't producing the desired results for the customer, we implemented Find to provide an immediate solution.

We're also working on Search to see how we can improve that, as well. I don't know what the ultimate fate of Find vs. Search will be, but we are doing our best to provide a solution that works for everyone - and I will pass on your observations about the shortcut and focus, as well. Thank you!

ref:IDEA-I-527

• maincoffee
    maincoffee
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you 👍
    You're welcome 😊

• A pleasure chatting with you, @maincoffee 🙏

This discussion has been closed.