How do I leave the beta channel for 1Password 8?

Under Advanced settings, I set the Release Channel to production, but the about box says that I am still on the beta channel, and my icon is the under construction icon.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 80800094, on BETA channel
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.4

Comments

• Hi @sriggins,

Thanks for writing in.

That is by design, changing the update channel only changes where you will get the next updates from, and in this case, the next stable update from the production channel.

Note that 1Password will not downgrade you to the available stable version that is not compatible with the beta build you're using. In other words, since you're using a beta build of 1Password 8.8, the next stable update has to be 1Password 8.8, not the currently available 1Password 8.7.0.

The under construction icon and About View is not intended to be changed because of the update channel, it is based on the current build you're using, which hasn't changed in this case. When you update to the 1Password 8.8 stable update, these will change to reflect the build's stable status.

• Note that if you want to switch to the stable build right now, you can but you'll have to move out the current database before you do that because 1Password 8.7.1 cannot read the database from 1Password 8.8.

Let us know if you desire to do that.

• sriggins
    sriggins
    Community Member

No that’s fine, I’ll wait. Thanks!

• On behalf of Mike, you're welcome.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member

Your bot gave me this: To solve this, you'll need to move 1Password's Data folder out of the way so that it can make a new one. Here's what to do:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the menu bar (if it's there) and click Quit.
    2. Open Finder, and click the Go menu > Go to Folder...
    3. In the box that appears, copy and paste the following exactly:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/

and press Return.

1. You'll see a folder called Data – right-click on the folder and select Compress "Data".
    2. Drag the original Data folder to the Trash.
    3. Wait a few moments and then open 1Password 8. You'll be taken through the first setup process.

I followed the steps this morning. After setup process...do I just leave the 1PW app as is?

BTW...I did the reply after via email. Please ignore if I get a response here!

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022

Hi @VirgilBoy, thanks for this.

I see that one our team members has replied to your email, so we'll continue the conversation with you over there, for the sake of keeping all the answers in one place. We'll look forward to resolving this for you! 👍

ref: KJN-82489-297

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member

I've got to comment that all these machinations to just exit the beta are NOT user-friendly.

If I do not allow any more beta updates to occur, will I end up with a production version eventually?? I have selected Release channel : Production

• Hi @VirgilBoy,

all these machinations to just exit the beta are NOT user-friendly.

It is intentional by design to avoid downgrading you into an older version that isn't compatible with the database you're using in a newer version.

In other words, the current stable version is 1Password 8.7.3, which is lower than the current beta/nightly channel that is on the major 8.8 version.

If I do not allow any more beta updates to occur, will I end up with a production version eventually?

Yes, once you set it to the production channel, it will switch you to the 1Password 8.8 stable release when it is ready. Right now, it can't downgrade you to the current stable release because it is still 8.7.3 and not 8.8.

We anticipate 1Password 8.8 sometime in July. We did just release 1Password 8.7.3 stable update today with more fixes ported from the current beta/nightly updates.

Once you're on the 1Password 8.8 stable update, it should not send you any more beta updates.

• VirgilBoy
    VirgilBoy
    Community Member

OK, that makes sense. I have already disabled automatic updates and will re-enable them once I see 8.8 stable comes out. Thanks

• Hey @VirgilBoy:

Just to add on, we'd generally recommend leaving auto-updates on when you switch to the production release channel. If you're on the production channel, you won't receive any more beta updates, and you'll instead receive 8.8 when it is available as the production release.

Jack

• Heoudy
    Heoudy
    Community Member

Hi, I too have the under construction logo and looks like I'm on v80904012 on BETA channel. How can I move to the production channel to benefit from the normal logo (in layman's terms please 🥺) ?

This discussion has been closed.