New Item -> Email Account, now missing IMAP section label?

Options

I just tried to add a new Email Account item to my vault, and my OCD comparing it to older entries noticed a line different.

It seems the "IMAP" section label has been removed off the top section, while a new Contacts section has been added to the bottom.

I cannot seem to add a custom section title to default sections, and creating a new section would be more triggering for my OCD.

So now I am duplicating existing entries to match up my Email Account entries, which seems a bit silly.

Was there any reason why this "IMAP" section label was removed? Can it be added back again?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Linux & Windows

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ragectl !

I can't remember that there was a special IMAP section in 1Password 8. Just checked my entries I created some weeks / month ago. It looks the same as it is today in 8.7.0-98 beta. You have to select "IMAP" or "POP3" in the "type" field.

Also, there existed a contact section, as I used it in my entries... 🤔

Are you comparing with 1Password 7 here? I don't know how it was in v7.

• ragectl
    ragectl
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

My email entries were created with an earlier release in 2021, not sure the exact version.

There was a section Title above the Type field, which was labelled IMAP. The same way the SMTP section has a title labelled SMTP.

It's just odd that the title has been removed.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2022
    Options

The data still lives within a Section, and the default title for that first section has always been empty.

The v8 UI appears to not have the ability to modify the title for the first (main) section like v7 does. The section title seems superfluous given the type selector acts as a title.

I commented recently on this relic Email Account category.

• Hey @ragectl:

Thanks for following up on this. I've been doing some internal digging, and I wasn't able to locate any recent changes to the Email Account template that would have changed the title there. Is it possible you used a previous version of 1Password to make these items?

Jack

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Jack.P_1P

I don't think either the title or template has changed. Rather, the UI does not have a way to edit that first section's title.

• ragectl
    ragectl
    Community Member
    Options

The entries were likely created with version 7 on Windows back in early 2021 when I first started using 1Password.

In regard to the use of section titles, I agree they may not fit how the common user would interact with a global mail service, but separation of incoming and outgoing settings is still fairly common on smaller services.

If you wanted to change the template to look similar to the 'login' category, you could move the username & password field to be at the top, then move the other sections below.

That would cover the Office365 users who only need those first two details, while leaving sections for extra information for the users who need them. And the the sections could be renamed to "Inbound"/"Outbound" or "Receiving"/"Sending" and both be visible?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ragectl

I'm fairly confident the category template won't be changed (given that original categories have been static for a decade?). My comments in the other thread were aimed not as criticism or issues; rather, the remarks were about helping the OP's clarity about how best to fill in the template as it is defined today (so that we could get fields correctly assigned).

Anyway, Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.