Option to revert 1Password Search to filtering items

Options

Please allow searching for items in the 1Password app to filter the current window, rather than showing the dropdown. I often search, then hit Enter and load a site, rather than my intention of display the search results. I understand that there is the Command + Return shortcut to show all results but this is not as intuitive.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Smithjw, thanks for the feedback here - we're always happy to have it.

I have filed an issue with our developers for a more 1Password 7-like presentation of search results. We're working on improving search functionality in 1Password 8, and appreciate you're letting us know your experience with it! Thank you for taking the time.

ref: dev/core/core#12643

• John Young
    John Young
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, came here looking to post the same thing. It seems like it would work fine if "Show all matching" was the default result at the top, and then the list drops below and you can arrow down the list to individual entries if you wanted.

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

I'm with @Smithjw on this one. I liked the 1Password behavior better too,

Corentin

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

Please bring the 1Password 7 search back. This extra window with its best guess result is just annoying. I really want to see what I was searching for no matter if I entered complete words or substrings without any relevance filtering/sorting in between. Just pure results.

• Hi folks, just want to let you know we appreciate the feedback and are listening. Thank you as always!

• adisor19
    adisor19
    Community Member
    Options

Oh wow this needs to be reverted ASAP. Is there still no workaround in 8.7 ?! It's driving me nuts..

• Hi @adisor19, to be clear it's not possible to "revert" any given feature in 1Password 8 as it's an entirely new app, built from the ground up. However, we're of course happy to make improvements and appreciate your feedback on this issue.

By the way: have you tried using the find functionality in 1Password 8?

You can do this on Windows using ctrl + alt + f or on Mac using opt + cmd + f. Let me know what you think!

• adisor19
    adisor19
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @PeterG_1P how do I make opt+cmd+f the default instead of the current non filtered search box ? I'll get carpal tunnel in my hands if I keep doing this non stop..

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

An option to use "Filter" instead of the cumbersome new search would be highly appreciated.

By the way even the latest nightly still uses the same German wording for search and filter in the menu:

• dalepeak
    dalepeak
    Community Member
    Options

ctrl+alt+f does make a filter field visible which then filters the list in place, but that's a very hacky solution. It doesn't appear to be possible to amend the filter and it disappears depending on where you click. To achieve the same thing using what was previously the filter field requires pressing ctrl-enter after typing the search string, which is no less hacky. I don't know what the intent is behind the new behaviour of having a drop-down, but it seems like there could be an option to make that field permanently behave like 1Password 7 instead of requiring additional keystrokes.

• Hi folks!

@adisor19: I have put in a request on your behalf for an option to make this the default search behavior. Thank you!

ref: IDEA-I-289

@viswiz: Thank you for pointing this out. I have let the appropriate people know. 👍

ref: dev/core/core#15425

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

@dalepeak thank you for your feedback here, as well. The search feature is an ongoing area of improvement for us, and we recently included the find feature (the ctrl + alt + f one) in order to provide an immediate solution for folks who have been requesting a filter-like way to locate things.

There's more to come on this front, and we appreciate you letting us know your impressions of the current state. We'll keep the improvements coming and hope that future updates will delight you.

• macphreak
    macphreak
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Definitely would love to see an option in the settings to change this back. However, if you do happen to change this back, can you please add in the "tags" at the top of the list perhaps? That way, they will still be included in a quick search (best of both worlds). :)

Thanks!

• Thanks folks! We are listening, and appreciate your feedback.

This discussion has been closed.