Unhelpful notification about application expiry

Options

Hi! Shame on me for not updating often enough. :)
I use 1password with autostart and I was faced with a notification about some program that had expired. I had no clue which program it was until I actually needed to use 1password. Even then, the process had somehow hung and I had to close it through the task manager.
When I opened 1password I got the error message again and I was able to understand which application it was that had expired.

Sadly I do not remember the exact error message.

This is what it says in the logs:

ERROR 2022-05-17T23:16:10.126 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(6)) [1P:op-app\src\app\backend.rs:201] AppError at /rustc/c8dfcfe046a7680554bf4eb612bad840e7631c4b\library\core\src\convert\mod.rs:540:9
AppExpired(())

Modifying the error to say that "1password has expired" instead of a generic "software has expired" error would be helpful.

1Password Version: 8.6.0.26
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hello @kebab, thank you for letting us know about this - and sorry to learn about the issue!

1Password should be updating automatically, which makes me wonder how your app got into this particular state. Were you able to run the update process after you figured out it was 1Password that was generating the message? Can you let me know what version you're currently on?

I'll be happy to pass on your feedback about the notification to our developers, as well - and just want to make sure that your app configuration is A-OK and that you have the requisite support if it's not. 👍

• kebab
    kebab
    Community Member
    Options

I was unable to open the program after I got the error about the expiry. I could however update by downloading the latest version from the 1password website. It all went smoothly. :)

Not sure how it ended up like that. Looking in the Settings->About I can see my application last checked for updates half a year ago.
    In Settings->Advanced I noticed that "Install updates automatically" is unticked. I assume that's not default and that I've disabled it at some point.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @kebab, thanks for the update on this. It's great to know that you now have a working copy of 1Password!

I'd definitely recommend activating that install updates automatically option, both for the sake of keeping on top of security updates as well as being able to take advantage of fixes and new features as we introduce them.

In any case, if you do encounter any further issues from here, let us know and we'll be happy to assist!

this is my 2000th post, woohoo 🥳

This discussion has been closed.