Searching Inside of Records with V8

dereksteelberg
dereksteelberg
Community Member

I seem to be unable to search inside of my 1Password records. For example. I have many credit cards stored in 1Password. I want to find the credit card that ends in 1234 . Before V8 I seem to recall that I could just type in 1234 into the search bar and all the records that had 1234 in them would appear..so credit cards, maybe some bank accounts, whatever. Now I type in 1234 and I get 0 results. I appear to only be able to search based on the titles of 1Password records, not the data inside the records. Did something change or am I missing something? Thanks

1Password Version: 8.7
Extension Version: Chrome 2.3.4
OS Version: MacOS 12.3.1

Comments

• dereksteelberg
    dereksteelberg
    Community Member

Update...now that I try it again, I see that the search feature actually works for credit cards...I can search credit card using partial information (e.g. the last 4 digits). For some reason I cannot search on partial information for other records, eg. like bank accounts. I have a bank account that is # 12345678. If I enter 12345678 into the search field, the bank account record comes up...but if I only enter 5678 I get 0 records found. Again, I am pretty sure I could do this type of search before V8. Thanks

• dereksteelberg
    dereksteelberg
    Community Member

Anyone have any ideas here? If I search using the last 4 digits of my credit card number, the credit card record comes up. If I search using the last 4 digits of a different data field in another record (e.g. bank account, car VIN, phone number, etc) I get 0 records found

• Hi @dereksteelberg

I think the 'find' function may be more helpful than 'search', in this regard. If you select Edit > Find (or use the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘F) and then search for the digits you're looking for, does that produce the expected results?

Please let me know.

Ben

• dereksteelberg
    dereksteelberg
    Community Member

Hi Ben.

Thanks. Using Find did not help...but it did get me to test other things. This is what I found.

• In some cases, searching on the first 4 digits of an account number will produce the expected result...while searching on the last 4 digits will not
    • If, for example, I put the numbers 67890 in the record in the Notes section, searching on 67 or 678 or 6789 or 67890 works...but 7980 does not.
    • for credit cards, stored in a 1Password credit card record, I can search on the first 4 digits or the last 4 digits...but not 4 digits in the middle of the card number.
    • note..this issue is not limited to numbers...searching on "ance" will bring up my Ancestry.com record but not my Air France record

Definitely something weird going on. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to search for any 4 digit string and 1Password should bring up all the records that contain those 4 characters

• Thanks @dereksteelberg. Odd that using find did not help. In my experience, searching for the last 4 of my phone number for example, it does return the expected records. 🤔

I'm afraid I don't have anything else to suggest off-hand but I can say that we're aware searching for substrings works differently than some expect. Part of this is a known caveat of our improved unicode support, and is the reason for the separate 'find' function. I have passed your specific examples of this not working as expected to our product team, and I hope we're able to improve this in an update. 🙏🏻 Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry I don't have a more immediate solution.

Ben

• dereksteelberg
    dereksteelberg
    Community Member

Hi Ben

Thanks...this seems like a pretty significant bug to me. I'm hoping that the product team does not consider it a searching substrings a feature that has to be prioritized amongst other features for a decision about including it in a release. It is a bug that needs to be fixed. I migrated from SplashID to 1Password in January. And while 1Password certainly has some advantages over SplashID, I have no issue with searching substrings in SplashID. Moreover, I may be wrong on this, but I kind of think that the searching functionality worked prior to my V8 upgrade (can you confirm this by any chance?). If so, I would consider rolling back if that is possible

• dereksteelberg
    dereksteelberg
    Community Member

I just downloaded 1Password V7.9.5 and I have confirmed that I can successfully search for substrings inside of a 1Password record. If I enter a subset (first 4, last 4, middle 4, whatever) of an account number or subscription ID or whatever, the Search bar returns the records that match. So this is definitely a bug in V8.

Any plans for a bug fix for V8?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

@dereksteelberg

It is indeed something we hope to a better job at. I'll be sure to let the team know this feature is important to you. Me too. ;)

ref: IDEA-I-527

• eatrocks
    eatrocks
    Community Member

This loss of functionality is significant for me. Please record it as a trackable bug with priority of Urgent+high. Pretty please? I'm wondering... were the testers on vacation for this release or was it decided that this loss of functionality was okay?

• Hi @eatrocks:

Thanks for letting us know. I'll add your thoughts to the issue Tommy mentioned above.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.