Dropbox + iCloud Sync

Urda
Urda
Community Member
On the 1Password iOS Beta app, it allows BOTH Dropbox and iCloud sync to be used at the same time.

Are there any "gotchas" with this? I use Dropbox to keep my 1Password in sync with my Windows and iPhone. iCloud does sound like a nice "backup" or alternative location in case of a Dropbox failure.

What should be aware of? How would I test working with both of these solutions together?

Comments

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    Take a look at the Please Read: 1Password 4 For iOS Beta Information topic at the top. It details a few gotchas you should be aware of.
  • Urda
    Urda
    Community Member
    Smudge wrote:

Take a look at the Please Read: 1Password 4 For iOS Beta Information topic at the top. It details a few gotchas you should be aware of.

Thanks for the tip, I'll read that in depth because I must have missed the details.
  • Hi Urda,

So far, there are no major gotchas, other than already mentioned in that thread linked by Smudge (thanks, Smudge).

We're working on documentations to explain more about the major differences between iCloud and Dropbox, such as the two different data formats created in both services.
  • jhollington
    jhollington
    Community Member
    I'm currently using both since I'm basically still forced to use Dropbox to sync with 1Password on my Mac. However, iCloud has the advantage of providing an effective background sync between my iPhone and iPad, which is useful as I'm often out of data coverage (e.g. on the subway); I don't have to worry about opening 1Password to "sync it up" before I go out of coverage, as iOS takes care of syncing the iCloud data in the background, and 1Password then just syncs with that local data store.

Note that I haven't had any sync problems, other than the obvious fact that I do still need to be online to sync with Dropbox, which is too easy to forget sometimes :)
  • @jhollington is correct.

iCloud has other advantages such as automatic sync for your other iOS devices as soon as you turn on iCloud, so there's no need to go thorough with welcome/authentication setup like you do with Dropbox.
This discussion has been closed.