Can't switch update channel [Switching to prod will still get beta update until next stable update]

sifutommy
sifutommy
Community Member

When 1PW 8 went GA I went into Preferences | Advanced and switched my release channel to Production. But it doesn't do anything. Not only does the app not immediately switch to the production version, I continue getting beta updates. I've switched back and forth several times and it doesn't seem to do anything.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• chearn5
    chearn5
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem.

• Hi folks,

Please see my answer here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/642608/#Comment_642608

This is expected because there is no stable version for the 1Password 8.8 beta builds you're using right now, the app will continue to push beta updates until the next stable update is available. Not getting beta updates until the next stable update means you'd be stuck with issues that may be addressed in later beta updates.

When 1Password 8.8 stable is released, you'll get that and no more beta updates afterward, only the stable updates from the production channel.

• chearn5
    chearn5
    Community Member

Ah that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I'll wait for 8.8 stable.

• Sounds good chearn5

• sifutommy
    sifutommy
    Community Member

Thanks guys.

• You're most welcome. Have a great day!

• chearn5
    chearn5
    Community Member

I changed my update channel to production back when it was recommended by @ag_tommy. I was checking 1P updates today & saw there was an update for 8.9 beta that would be installed if I proceeded, even though the release channel was set to production. Not wanting to continue on the beta, I downloaded 8.8 from the website & installed that, which seemed to go ok. Just wanted to update here because apparently changing the release channel doesn't seem to have any effect on getting off of the beta channel.

• @chearn5

There is an open issue to look into this. I'm sorry you encountered it. I found myself in the same situation a few days ago. I would like to see this one fixed. I am sure you feel the same. Hopefully, soon!

• chearn5
    chearn5
    Community Member

@ag_tommy So even though I reinstalled with the production version, the app is still prompting me to update to the latest beta. I don't want to do this. How do I fix this?

• ag_tommy
    edited August 2022

@chearn5

You cannot change channels until a new release is issued for that channel. For example you cannot change from beta (now) and pull in a production build. You would continue to get beta updates until a (new) production build is released.

My best suggestion would be to remain on beta until the next update. If you are currently on the beta. There have likely been updates that benefit you presently. That said, if you want to try to return to the stable the following may be able to help you.

--

1. Make sure you have your Emergency Kit and know your account password. Also, make sure all of your data appears on 1Password.com.
    2. Open 1Password > Preferences > Advanced -- Release channel -- (select an option) Production, Beta, or Nightly.
    3. Quit 1Password and all browser for good measure. Right-click 1Password in the menu bar (If it's there) and click Quit.
    4. Open Finder, and click the Go menu > Go to Folder...
      In the box that appears, copy and paste the following exactly:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/

5. Press Return.

6. You'll see a folder called Data – right-click on the folder and select Compress "Data".

7. Drag the original Data folder to the Trash.
    8. Remove the 1Password app from the Applications folder by dragging it to the trash. DO NOT use an app cleaner.
    9. Download a new copy of 1Password and install. Best Password Manager for macOS & Safari
    10. Go through any needed setup.

I've included the steps above regarding the database to help ensure you do not have a newer database type after using the beta. Again, my best recommendation would be to remain on the beta until the next production release.

• chearn5
    chearn5
    Community Member

I changed channels back when I was on the 8.8 beta build. I set my channel to production then, per your recommendations. Then 8.8 was released. However, I'm still getting the 8.9 beta update prompt, even though my release channel has been "production" for months now.

• chearn5
    chearn5
    Community Member

@ag_tommy considering the above, do you recommend I go through the steps you listed?

• chearn5
    chearn5
    Community Member

Went ahead & followed the steps listed above. That seems to have worked with regards to reverting to the production build.

• RichieB
    RichieB
    Community Member

I also got the 8.9.4 on BETA channel release even though I was on 8.8.0 on Production channel before. Once again I followed the above reset procedure to revert to 8.8.0 on Production channel. Getting a bit tired of this.

• Sorry @chearn5

I seemed to have missed your post. Sorry about that. The instructions above are the only method to change between versions.

Sorry @RichieB

If you were on production, I'm not sure what would have happened.

• RichieB
    RichieB
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

This was on a shared MacBook. What I suspect happened is that my wife launched 1Password while still on the BETA channel. This probably prompted the upgrade to 8.9.4. Then, after I (unsuspectingly) launched 8.9.4 I got switched back to the BETA channel as well.

• We do have an issue filed from your reports. I appreciate you flagging this.

ref: dev/core/core#16674

This discussion has been closed.