To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Question on the possible self-hosted option that's being looked into by Agilebits

Options
cutter
cutter
Community Member

Hi team,

I was a longtime user, having purchased every version on Mac, Windows and iOS client you ever released. I switched to a competitor (no need to name names, I'm not here for that) the day you announced that you would go subscription only and announced your plans to abandon local vaults, since it no longer met my needs and requirements.

I logged in to the forums again after receiving the newsletter announcing the new version. It looks like a great release by the way, so congrats! Browsing through the forums, I saw that there is a questionnaire for a possible self-hosted option, so my question is this.

Although I 100% disagree with the subscription model as an end user, I do understand the company logic behind it if there are recurring costs from the provision of said service. Assuming Agilebits decides to provide us with a self-hosted application, wouldn't it also make sense to provide us with an option to purchase the software with the use of a standard or a lifetime license? In this case you would have no recurring costs to bear, so I don't see the reason this wouldn't be possible.

I will never, ever lease my software and I will never trust my vault to be hosted on the cloud (private or public). I have no problem purchasing (and have purchased every single release you offered!), I even have no problem paying serious money and therefore committing to companies and software I really believe in their viability, via lifetime licenses, but I will never lease the products I use on a monthly or yearly basis. This subscription madness has got to stop!

Please reconsider the pricing model along with the vault location one, and make this a win-win for all parties! I would really, REALLY love to return at some point!

Take care,
Nick.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @cutter:

Thanks for your interest in the self-hosted version of 1Password. We haven't made any decisions quite yet on what the payment model would look like if we move forward with this.

If you haven't filled out the self-hosted survey already, filling it out would be your best way to share your specific concerns with us as we evaluate all our possible options.

Jack

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jack.P_1P

Thank you for your answer. I have indeed filled out the questionnaire and I’m waiting eagerly for your decision.

Take care,
    Nick.

• ag_tommy
    Options

👍

• cutter
    cutter
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Team,

just wanted to check in and ask if you are closer to a decision on a self-hosted version.

Thanks,
    Nick.

• Hey @cutter – there's no news to share right now on that front. The best places to keep on top of what's new at 1Password will be through our Blog, our monthly(-ish) Newsletter, or through Twitter. :)

This discussion has been closed.