Don't Suggest In Browser is gone?

doubleforte
doubleforte
Community Member

There used to be a way to flag an item as to not be suggested in the browser. I can't seem to find this option in 1P8. Am I missing it? Did it go away? Will it come back?

It was very useful. For example, I have my bank login as well as my wife's bank login and one for each of my kids, but I only ever want to sign in as me. In 1P7 (I think?) I had my wife's set to never display. This allowed me to keep her information secure, but not get in the way.

If it fell off the 1P8 transition, please add my vote to bring it back.

1Password Version: 8.8 80800094
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Hello @doubleforte! 👋

You're right that the "Never suggest in browser" feature hasn't yet been added to 1Password 8 for Mac and I can certainly see how it would be useful to bring it back. We have an open feature request for this and I've added your vote so that our developers are aware that you'd like to see this return.

Thank you for the suggestion! 😊

ref: IDEA-I-281

• edwardloveall
    edwardloveall
    Community Member

Hello, and thanks for the transparency 🙂 Can you please add my vote for this feature as well?

• Hi @edwardloveall

It has been decided that reverting to the 1Password 7 behavior isn't a direction we're going to go at this time. That said, there is a way to accomplish the same thing.

• Create a vault to contain the items you don't want to be suggested, and move the items in question into that vault [or, multiple vaults, e.g. if you're using multiple accounts]
    • For the main app and Quick Access, you can create a collection that does not include that vault: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults
    • For 1Password in the Browser, you can exclude vaults in the extension's Settings (right click the toolbar icon and select Settings) under the Accounts & Vaults heading.

Additionally there are some other related requests that are up for consideration, such as bringing collections to 1Password in the Browser and adding the ability to create collections based off tags. That way, instead of having to create a separate vault for each account, you could add a "never suggest in browser" tag to your items, and then create an exclusory collection based on that tag. In short, it is possible to accomplish this today using currently available features, and also I believe there is still room & opportunity for future improvement.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• doubleforte
    doubleforte
    Community Member

:( This was a great feature and I'm sad to see it go away.

I'll try to set up extra vaults for now, but that's pretty awkward.

...instead of having to create a separate vault for each account, you could add a "never suggest in browser" tag to your items, and then create an exclusory collection based on that tag...

I guess if I can't get the old feature back, this would be my vote for the future.

Thanks for the update!

• edwardloveall
    edwardloveall
    Community Member

Thank you, @Ben, for the reply and instructions. That solution was a bit difficult to find, but it does exactly what I want. I kind of like the ergonomics of shoving stuff into an excluded vault like "Old Stuff" where I can keep things around if I need them, but they don't clutter up my suggestions.

• doubleforte
    doubleforte
    Community Member

For me, these aren't "old stuff". They are actual, valid logins that I want to keep and have easy access to. I just don't want them displayed when I cmd-/.

• Thank you for letting us know, @doubleforte. We'll keep looking to improve in this area.

• swrobel
    swrobel
    Community Member

Just found this thread. Disappointed to see that my old thread was closed & ignored, and I had to search to see "did they ever fix this?"

I guess in the end, removing a feature that just plain didn't work is better than leaving it there festering and annoying us, but I have to agree that the workaround is less-than-ideal.

• swrobel
    swrobel
    Community Member

@Ben is there some way to filter my vault to find all of the items I'd marked "never suggest in browser" so that I can tag those or add to a new vault? I don't want to have to go through and find them all manually...

I'm still on 1Password 7 if that helps.

• swrobel
    swrobel
    Community Member

@Ben just following up again as I haven't seen a reply to my question in the post immediately before this one.

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member

@Ben @PeterG_1P

Please add another user to the list that wants to see this feature back. The workaround is clunky at best, and seems so unnecessary when you had working functionality that you have chosen to remove (without explanation as to why that is better for us users).

• @pinecone

I've added a proxy vote on your behalf, thanks for taking the time to express how important this is to you!

@swrobel

Apologies for the late response, admittedly I've only stumbled upon your post because of the recent reply to this thread, but if you're still using 1Password 7 on Mac and interested in tagging the items you've marked "never suggest in browser" I'm happy to share that it is possible:

From the dropdown menu within the search bar > Show Search Options > from the dropdown menu that says Title > Shown in browser > from there you can filter for items that are or are not marked "never suggest in browser" and then select ⌘+A to select all and drag them to a tag to apply it.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-281

This discussion has been closed.