how to print passwords list in 1PW8

tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

How to I print a list of my passwords on Version 8? I don't see a "print" option....????

1Password Version: 1PW8
Extension Version: 1PW8
OS Version: MacOS1r.6.6. Big Sue
Referrer: forum-search:printing passwords 1PW8

Comments

• Hi @tuni12

Would you mind sharing what the end goal is here? For example, is the purpose to have a backup of your 1Password data outside of 1Password? You are correct that 1Password 8 does not support printing (intentionally), but if you can share what you're looking to accomplish I'd be happy to work with you to find a way to achieve the desired effect.

Thanks!

Ben

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Hi Ben, while I realize that may not be the intent of 1 PW, I do always, have printed them from 1pw for all the years I’ve had the app- keep a printed copy of my passwords in secure location. Since there is no option I can find, perhaps a copy/paste / print might do it - what d’ya think ? Thx

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Again, I must have that ability in 1PW8, if the app cannot enable this - i.e., no workaround - I will delete the app and attempt to return to Version 7 or even earlier. This is very important to me...... Please let me know if it can accommodate my need.....many thanks.

• @tuni12

While I would strongly recommend against that practice, you can export your data to a CSV file, and then print that using a spreadsheet editor. Please make sure to use an offline editor that will not upload this file to any cloud storage, as it is unencrypted. Google Sheets or Microsoft Office Online would not be good candidates. Could you please help me understand why a printed copy of this data is important to you? Again, what's the end goal? Printing seems like a means to an end.

Some examples:

• If you're worried about potentially forgetting your credentials for 1Password, and getting locked out, the Emergency Kit is the recommended solution to that problem: Get to know your Emergency Kit
    • If you're worried about offline access — in the event you or we are offline, or in the worst case if we were to go out of business: the 1Password app automatically caches your encrypted data on any devices you use it on. You can test this by disconnecting from the internet, then launching and unlocking 1Password.

Thanks!

Ben

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

hmmm.....the end game for my requiring printed copy is simply, a family member needs to be able to access the Passwords in written form, not on a computer. A printed paper copy is easier for some to access if computer skills are not that great. That being said, that is what we need.....and we've always managed to print the lists before I switched to version 8.....so for us, losing this ability is definitely a dissatisfier with this aspect of the update. Losing this ability has not added anything to our use of the update, in fact, its going to complicate our use. I may? attempt to use the csv option however I've not tried to do anything like that before.... and not too confident this non-techie can handle the process.....yikes! Perhaps I would be better off reverting back to Version 7 if its a simple process to downgrade????

• hmmm.....the end game for my requiring printed copy is simply, a family member needs to be able to access the Passwords in written form, not on a computer.

What are they doing with these passwords, if not using them on a computer?

I may? attempt to use the csv option however I've not tried to do anything like that before.... and not too confident this non-techie can handle the process.....yikes!

Any sort of export or print is going to be inherently insecure, and so should be handled with extreme caution. If there is no other way to handle this situation, then you can export using File > Export and then choosing CSV as the export format. Just about any spreadsheet editor (Apple Numbers, Microsoft Excel, etc) will be able to open this file, and then you can print it from there. The export should be erased once printed.

Perhaps I would be better off reverting back to Version 7 if its a simple process to downgrade????

With the launch of 1Password 8, 1Password 7 is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. Although you can continue to use 1Password 7, it’s best to use the latest version of 1Password that includes all the latest features and security updates.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.