Challenge with Password lookup redirect from 3rd party app

sri
sri
Community Member

Sorry for the cryptic title. Didn't know how to summarize my issue. Here is the long version:

1. I am in some app (iPad, iPhone) that requires me to log in
  2. I tap the passwords (key) icon and 1Password pops up
  3. 1P suggests a handful of items from my vaults. None match
  4. I use the search field and type the name of the item - No match is found again.

When this happens, I have to

1. Exit the app (from step 1 above)
  2. Open 1Password app
  3. Find the item I am interested in
  4. Copy its password
  5. Go back to app that I'm trying to log into
  6. Paste the password

This leads to my questions

1. Why didn't 1Password suggest a matching password
  2. Why did search (step 4 in the first process above) find anything

I can guess the answer to (1). That's probably because the item names don't match. 1Password item is stored as yummy-dog-food.com login however the app is called yummy-yummy.

But why doesn't search work? How can I simplify my workflow and avoid the 6-step process shown above?

Sri

1Password Version: 7.9.6
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: iOS 15.4.1

Comments

• Hello @sri! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble filling a login into an app on your iPhone and iPad. I just answered a similar question from another user here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/643840/#Comment_643840

Can you take a look to see if my instructions will help in your case as well? I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

@Dave_1P Thanks for the link explaining the inner workings. I will try it out and let you know if fixes the issue.

• @sri

Sounds good! When you get a chance to try the instructions, let me know if you run into any issues. πŸ™‚

• sri
    sri
    Community Member

@Dave_1P The one app I tried it on (Vanguard personal investment) behaves differently on iPhone vs iPad. On the former I am able to search for the web login. On the iPad on the other hand, not only is it not listed, I don't get an option to create a login (yes, there is a + icon on the upper right but no web site is suggested).

I understand that in such cases the ball is the in the app developer's court. Thanks for all your help.

• @sri

I'm happy that my comment helped. For websites and apps that don't work with 1Password you can copy and paste your login information using this guide: Copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password

I hope that helps. πŸ™‚

This discussion has been closed.