Support for local vaults?

124»

Comments

• LocalVaults
    LocalVaults
    Community Member

I too would gladly continue to pay for your application to continue using off line vaults (with Dropbox). I really liked 1password, I was very happy with previous versions, but I do not want my data stored in a multitenant cloud focused on security credentials or my local client even linked to/communicating with that cloud even just for authentication. I do want to be able to share vaults between devices. (it's not the cloud element that concerns me, its the lack of control over hosting) Talk about a honey pot for hackers and insider risk.

Just because your privacy policy is ethical today, that is no protection for your customers in the future, should you change your policy, data retention standards and application code to harvest our credentials. To me it would be the equivalent of using Twitter to store passwords. Once we upload a vault to the cloud/encrypted or not, its out of our control. (many people trusted WhatsApp, and that was just messaging not passwords/identity/bank accounts)

Please reconsider the support of local vaults with dropbox on Windows 10 PCs. I get the appeal to your company for the subscription revenue stream, but your product is security and consumer focused cloud services just have not earned that trust.

Thank you,
    Dan

• ask
    ask
    Community Member

I have both a (enterprise/corporate) licensed version and I pay for the subscription as well for some personal use. Happy user since at least 2007!

Requiring syncing to 1Password.com makes it impossible for me to use 1Password for some of my use cases, so the self-hosted option would be great so I can continue using 1Password.

• thecodechemist
    thecodechemist
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

It's been a few months … is there any news on the local vault docker container?

• Hi @thecodechemist:

We don't have more to share at this time, other than to fill out the self-hosted survey if you haven't already:

Self-hosted 1Password kick-starter

Jack

• Deadpan
    Deadpan
    Community Member

Do we have any updates for the self hosted option yet? The survey has been out for.... A long time.

Or to put it another way - what price would we have to pay for self hosting? What makes it worth your while? Give us a number.

• jefe2000
    jefe2000
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

I just finished reading through this very informative thread. I didn’t see my use-case represented herein, so I thought I’d quickly write about it.

I currently use iCloud sync for 1Password. It works so well and makes use of a sync service I already pay for. It’s great! And if have to move over to 1Password’s hosted sync solution in the future and pay a new subscription fee for that, it wouldn’t be my first choice, but so be it.

However, I’m not allowed to use cloud syncing solutions at work. So currently I export my vault from home and import it as a local vault at work. That way I still have access to all my personal passwords without running afoul of my employer’s policies. If I were to lose access to all my personal passwords at work because 1Password were to adopt a cloud-only posture, that’d force me to go look for another password manager.

• Thanks for adding your use case, @jefe2000.

We don't have anything to share on this yet, but if we do you can be sure we'll post here in the forums about it - and please do fill out the survey if you haven't done so already (I understand many of you will have previously; just being thorough 👍).

• jefe2000
    jefe2000
    Community Member

Ah yes, good reminder about the survey. I'd forgotten to fill it out. No longer: I just entered my details for the survey. Thanks for the response and reminder!

• Thanks for taking the time to do that, @jefe2000. 🤗

I read each and every one of these survey results so this is quite helpful. I'm currently stretched thin so this is wishful thinking at the moment, but my plan is to organize the results and share some (anonymous) statistics on the survey in this forum.

The old proverb "beware of a busy life" is very applicable right now so it will be a while before I'll be able to post this.

Take care and stay safe out there,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• JC_Denton
    JC_Denton
    Community Member

@dteare as someone who filled out the survey awhile ago, I'm definitely interested in those stats. I've thoroughly enjoyed 1Password since version 4 and would love to keep using it. I have no interest in keeping my secrets/credentials storage in the cloud, so I really hope support for a self-hosted version (or not deprecating local vaults) is still an option for version 8.

• Thanks for letting us know, @JC_Denton. We'll make sure to post here when we have an update on the self-hosting survey.

• Pariah_Zero
    Pariah_Zero
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I hope there's an update too... I'm definitely late to the party, because I never, in my wildest nightmares thought local vaults would be removed until I upgraded to 8 and found that... it's gone!

For me, the problem is simple: My employer forbids any network sync of company credentials. Full stop.

The password vault (file) allowed me to have my company credentials in a file, on disk, on my company machine. It's a solution that has served me well for 14+ years(*). It stings to find something I _need_ gone just like that.

About five weeks ago, I had to prove to an auditor that the company passwords that were in 1Password were in fact stored in a file, on my local hard drive, and I was very glad I didn't try to cheat and assume that nobody would ever actually verify that sort of thing. It's not worth losing my job over.

It's not about a subscription fee (I've been a 1Password family subscriber for years) or how I feel about your data security (Again, I've been a 1Password family subscriber for years). It's the simple fact that nothing short of Thermonuclear war is changing my employer's policy. The Vogons have nothing on these guys.

As I really don't think you're bringing local vaults back just for me, the new reality seems to be that I have two options: Find another job, or find a different password manager for corporate use.

Pardon my despair, but I fear it's more likely that Putin will nuke us all than I'll be able to use 1Password at work again.

(*) Yes, I know there's the chance the vault could be lost/corrupted, etc. This is a corporate environment, where credentials are far more easily replaced than replacing a few hundred different internet sites & services. For that matter, credential rotation is frequent anyway...

• JC_Denton
    JC_Denton
    Community Member

The topic update notification reminded me. It's been a good six months since most of us filled out that survey.

Can we please get an official update on whether 1P is going to pursue a self-hosted solution? The people that want the solution are going to be capable of deploying it, so I'm not really sure I understand the reticence to even answering whether it has a place on the roadmap. From a business perspective, you're still getting a subscription of sorts - so what's the catch?

• sn0man
    sn0man
    Community Member

I didn’t realize it was being yanked either. This isn’t a threat but just a sad reality that when I can’t local sync I’ll deploy a solution that can.

I would much rather not leave the 1Password ecosystem and I would prefer you all address this. We’ve been quite patient all these months (years?) waiting for an official will you won’t you.

• Pariah_Zero
    Pariah_Zero
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

We’ve been quite patient all these months (years?) waiting for an official will you won’t you.

In my case, it doesn't really matter. I need the functionality now, and 1Password isn't offering it. Splitting my credentials into two systems is all I'm left with, unfortunately.

I'm sad about it, but raging here isn't going to do a lot of good, so I'm just making do as best I can and hoping for the best.

• thecodechemist
    thecodechemist
    Community Member

My 1Password subscription ran out yesterday. After waiting all this time for even an estimate we never got, I now see no reason to renew it. I’m sad to leave because otherwise I always really liked the product you offer. But that’s it for now.
    I’ll continue to watch this thread, maybe, if something happens, I’ll come back in the future. But I guess that’s more unlikely the longer it takes.

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022

Hi folks, my apologies for not posting an update in this thread specifically (I'm just now realizing it was revived within the last few days, so I must have been following similar conversations elsewhere in the forums).

Our founder @dteare did share some preliminary numbers from the self-hosted survey in a post here, which shed some light on the level of demand we've received for that feature.

For folks like @Pariah_Zero who may have employers that put restrictions that would seem to be incompatible with 1Password's model, we'd love to put you in touch with our business support team and get a conversation started. We recognize that not every organization will be open to it, but there are quite a few high-security orgs that depend on our product, and we'd be happy to do what we can for you.

• Pariah_Zero
    Pariah_Zero
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

I'm afraid I'm kind of "stuck" from a bureaucratic standpoint.

It's literally a "don't call us, we'll call you" thing and I've got zero leverage in the conversation - it's just not my turf, and any conversation with the corporate procurement department is more likely to get me terminated on suspicion of violating an NDA.

Like I said: it'd be awesome if there was a feature that I could choose to not sync a vault, and be able to prove to auditors it's not available remotely.

But it's most likely going to fall into this category:

One user really needs this

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Hi everybody 🙂

It has been some time since I last had more time to look into the development of 1Password (there are lots of new features which I got to experience on Linux 👀),
    so I was wondering if there has been made any progress beside the things you Peter and Dave mentioned here and over at macOS land?

I still see the need also as a private consumer, not only for organizations 😉

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

@dmitriid You might not see the full history of this discussion, this is getting discussed nearly since the beginning of the Linux UI client.
    We fought for a local vault function, but at some point it was clear that this is not the direction this product is going, so we (I) had at least the hope that there will be some kind of self hosted solution, so the data still is in our own hands instead of a infrastructure which might get breached in the one or other way.

This discussion has been closed.