1Password inconsistently working with Windows Hello + TPM enabled

Options
lumin8
lumin8
Community Member

This has been happening forever since the feature has come out and I've decided to submit the report today.
For whatever reason, I can go 4 restarts in a row with Windows Hello working fine upon launch. However, I would say it works only about 50% of the time upon restart, where it just says "Your password is required after Windows Hello is reset".
Every time I receive this message, I log into Windows just fine through the Windows Hello feature which leads me to believe that whatever integration 1Password is using is not the same as Windows Hello login's handling of TPM

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Hello @lumin8! Please excuse the delay in our response. I'm sorry to hear that have been experiencing issues with Enhanced Windows Hello in 1Password 8.

We're aware of some customers being asked to enter the account password again, as mentioned. The conditions that may cause this include Windows updates, BIOS updates, using fast startup, and changing some Windows settings which may result in the TPM state being invalidated on the next restart. If you'd like to try disabling fast startup, you can take a look at that guide.

Please let us know if this helps.

• lumin8
    lumin8
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_mike_d I did notice my Windows Hello stopped functioning when I did a BIOS update (I could not sign into my computer using Hello, it asked for my password instead). However, my Windows Hello to sign in functions properly after Windows updates and small BIOS changes (like voltage or fan curve adjustments). Is the fact that 1Password seems far more sensitive to TPM state changes than Windows' built in Hello for sign-in to due with a limitation of Windows Hello or does Windows itself implement it differently?
    Also, fast startup has always been disabled for me since it's always caused issues.

• Good morning @lumin8, thanks for the updates as well as your note about fast startup already being disabled.

At this time, we don't have more information to share other than we are continuing to work with Microsoft to better understand what is causing this behaviour on some systems. In the meantime, can you please provide a diagnostics report via email to support+windows@1Password.com so we can add your report to our internally filed issue and reach out when we have updated details to share? Please do not post your details in the forums.

Can you also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.