How do I generate a password? Now that you changed the interface again!

manxman
manxman
Community Member

How do I generate a password?
Now that you changed the interface again!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I generate a password? Now that you changed the interface again!

Comments

• manxman
    manxman
    Community Member

How do I generate a password? Now that you changed the interface again!

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

@manxman

Huh, that's not right. Do you have steps to reproduce or a site? If you can share it publicly? Which browser are you using? The version number of 1Password in the browser? Did you previously try to fill in a password on this site? Any details you can provide will be helpful.

If you're creating a new topic, please consider filling in some of these details during creation. It will give us a head start in helping you. True, it may not help in all cases. We can then do some digging on our own. Not required, of course, but the details can come in handy. You could also include those details in the body of your message. Below is an example of how I think you could include available details in the initial questions, if they are available to you.

Thanks in advance. Enjoy this fabulous weekend. 😀

• manxman
    manxman
    Community Member

1Password for Mac 8.7.0
    Mac OS 12.4 (21F79)
    Firefox 100.0.2 (64-bit)

Hi there, what do I do if the popup doesn't work - which happens?
    I just want to generate a password without logging into a site to register.

If I log info to the forum, maybe this info could be input in my account and auto-filled

?

• @manxman

Sorry for all the pictures. As they say a good picture is worth a thousand words. I'm hoping it will prevent any confusion. So here goes.

From the browser: * One possible way forward.

1. Open the webpage and start your login.
    2. Fill in the details.
    3. Click into the password field and use the suggested password.

Something like this. Be sure to click save.

Mac app:

Click the blue button "+ New Item"

Decide on the option you wish to use. Password for example.

Finally being sure to save your item.

• manxman
    manxman
    Community Member

Thanks for the pix.
    But that is my point.
    Why is there not a button to press to create one when I want to (not when logging in).
    There used to be one in v7?

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022

Hello @manxman, happily there is a button for that in version 8.

You can find it in the 1Password browser extension, by selecting the key-shaped icon. It looks like this:

Here you can also select the type of password - "random password", for example, lets you customize the length of the password, whether it uses numbers and symbols, and so on. The default, "smart password", tries to understand the password-creation parameters of any given website, so that 1Password can create a password that will work on that website for you. I hope this is helpful!

• warrickbayman2
    warrickbayman2
    Community Member

Would it be possible to bring the password generator into the Quick Access tool? Sometimes it's useful to generate a password without needing to open a browser and without needing to create an item in 1Password.

• manxman
    manxman
    Community Member

Ah thanks you. Not obvious though. And only on the browser plug in not the 'main' one. Like two designers had different ideas?

• Happy to help, @manxman!

From what I understand, the thinking on having the password generator live in the browser extension is that this is where people would find it most useful. However, we did take some requests throughout the Beta period for adding a password generator option to Quick Access as well, and I'm happy to add votes on behalf of yourself and @warrickbayman2 (and thank you for the request, warrick!).

ref: IDEA-I-298

• manxman
    manxman
    Community Member

Yes please. Thank you.
    I believe it's okay to have the same controls/options in several places for convenience, but its rarely done in UX design.

• Got you penciled in. Thanks manxman.

This discussion has been closed.