Search function needs improvement!

Daniel1
Daniel1
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Windows

I have roundabout 200 entries in 1Password. I searched for "example.com" and expected to get exactly two results. Instead I get 47 results. From those 47 results, only two are relevant.

When I searched for "example.com", I expect it to find only entries that either have "example.com" as part of their name, their email address or their web address, (or any other field). I have no idea why 1Password thinks that these other 45 results where relevant. But none of them had "example.com" in any of their fields. That makes the search function quite useless for me.

KeePass, which I used before, never made it that difficult to search and find stuff. That needs to be improved.

1Password Version: 8.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Kraken
    Kraken
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I'm having similar issues with search. I use 1pass as part of an enterprise account and I've been having heaps of issues after updating to the latest update:

• Quick search in the searchbar seems to ignore tags (and it has always ignored vault names, which would be more convenient to use tbh), making it useless for searching for client items (We set up a tag for each client so that search will actually allow us to find things).
    • "Type in window" functionality seems to have disappeared completely, which means I've had to resort to an AutoHotkey script for entering passwords into RDP sessions that don't want to play nice.

Definitely disappointing that basic functionality you'd expect from a password manager has degraded after an "update".

• Hi @Daniel1 and @kraken, thank you for the feedback here. The search feature is an ongoing area of work for us here, and we appreciate you letting us know where you think we could improve. We've discussed the reasons for the current search implementation further in the Desktop Betas forum, if you're interested to learn more about the details.

@Daniel1: I see that you're on Windows 11. Have you tried ctrl + alt + f? That may function more like you're expecting, and help with the specific use case you've described. We know we have more work to do in this area but I hope that this is helpful for your immediate to-do list.

• @kraken:

Quick search in the searchbar seems to ignore tags (and it has always ignored vault names)

Thank you for this. I have submitted a preliminary request for Quick Access to be able to search by tags.

ref: IDEA-I-878

To make sure I understand the intent correctly, what would be your desired result when searching by a tag name or vault name? For example:

• would you want to receive a selectable search result for that vault / tag?
    • or alternatively, for Quick Access to display a list of the items that are associated with the vault / tag, without displaying the vault/tag itself?

I'm happy to forward the particulars to our development team. 👍

The type in window functionality is something we're looking at as well. I don't have anything to share on that at the moment, but it hasn't dropped off our radar.

Thanks, and I'll look forward to learning more about how I can help. 😃

• Daniel1
    Daniel1
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

@PeterG_1P ctrl-alt-f works as expected. What does that do different, exactly? I looked into Help > Keyboard Shortcuts, but that shortcut isn't listed there.

While I think this should be the default, I can understand that other people think differently about that. Would it be possible to allow letting me change the search bar to work like ctrl-alt-f? And also let me change the shortcut ctrl-alt-f to simply ctrl-f? The way it works right now, and knowing that I always have to use ctrl-alt-f, which is uncomfy to type, is not satisfying.

• Hi @daniel1, thanks for the reply!

My understanding is that ctrl + alt + f essentially filters entries from your list (and in that way is perhaps closer to 1Password 7's search feature). The default search feature uses different rules for parsing strings and sub-strings (parts of words, basically) and also attempts to pull up the most relevant results using a number of criteria, including what you search for most often.

It might eventually be possible to change those search-related shortcuts (I'll have to ask), but I just want to let you know that this is an area where we're still putting in time and effort to provide the best experience for everyone.

• Daniel1
    Daniel1
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

@PeterG_1P I haven't used 1Pv7, so I can't compare. My reference is KeePass, since that's what I used for years. (And I'm still kinda evaluating 1P at this point.)

I think I found the thread you were referring to. I do understand the effor to provide a unified search for all languages and this is causing some trouble to you. Since ctrl-alt-f is maybe a different kind of search, what I really want is a simple search-and-match for the default search experience (search bar or ctrl-f). If the implementation of a unified search experience will continue to cause some trouble to your team, please consider letting us opt out of that new search experience until it's working. This would at least make search working for everybody who does not speak Chinese, Japanese or use any of the non-latin code points.

• Understood, @daniel1 - and thank you for taking the time to provide this perspective. I have passed it on to the appropriate team. And we'll keep the improvements and customizations coming!

• mateusbandeira
    mateusbandeira
    Community Member

Just updated from 1Password 7 to 8. Leaving my feedback here too:

I have a lot of server credentials for my job. They all look like this:

I was used to search by the last 3 or 4 numbers of the URL (if I wanted g41p-a-00000904, I would type only "904"). The search on 1Password 8 doesn't work for this use case.

I need to use that "find" feature, but that feels a bit odd. I think these two features should be merged into one. For example, it isn't possible to use the "find" feature with the shortcut ctrl + shift + space.

• AliH1P
    edited May 2022

Hi @mateusbandeira, thanks for the feedback and for describing your use case - it's greatly appreciated! I'll be sure to pass this along to our team.

Ali

IDEA-I-527

• ArnaudL
    ArnaudL
    Community Member

I'm also in favor of restoring the previous research way. Searching for incomplete value (or at least, not starting with) is 99,9% of my usage.

• Hello @ArnaudL. Thanks for your feedback here, I've added your +1 to the internal feature request we're currently tracking.

• BEAK
    BEAK
    Community Member

Please also add my +1 to the internal feature request regarding partial string searching. It has been very frustrating to lose that feature in v8.

• Hello again @BEAK, thanks for your feedback on this thread! I've included your +1! 😀

ref: IDEA-I-527

• ArnaudL
    ArnaudL
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

Is there any update for this ?
    This is honestly still the most hurtful design issue I have since upgrading to 1password 8.
    EDIT: Is there a chance that a lot of "+1" bring this feature higher in the priority list ?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@ArnaudL I would'nt hold my breath for a solution. I've reported the missing substring search in September 2021 and it's still not solved. Yes, they've added 'find' as a workaround but it's well hidden and can't be used as default.
    I'm in doubt that they are really willing to fix the problems or maybe even better replace the totally broken search with find.

• Hi @ArnaudL, thanks for your message. I have no updates or a timeline to share, but we're continuing to investigate how this can be further improved.

As mentioned, the more interest we receive in a given feature request or improvement, the more likely they will be promoted or moved higher in priority.

Thanks for your patience.

• abulhol
    abulhol
    Community Member

I would also like to leave my +1 as a sysadmin facing this issue every day.

• PauloV
    PauloV
    Community Member

Hi,
    Please also add my +1 as I'm facing this issue every day as a sysadmin. It has been very frustrating to lose that feature since I'm also using it a lot.

• exproject
    exproject
    Community Member

Also wanting to add to the dogpile here, substring searches are primarily how I found items. I can restructure the names of my items so that the substring I used to search for is its own word in the name of an item, but that is a workaround for what feels like a regression in the search system.

• Hi @abulhol, @PauloV and @exproject, thanks for the additional feedback and your votes for these search improvements.

These have now been added to the issue we're tracking.

ref: IDEA-I-527

• Hi @exproject / @PauloV / @abulhol / @viswiz / @ArnaudL / @BEAK / @mateusbandeira,

You might be excited to see some changes available in the latest nightly (80901013):

Let us know what you think!

Jack

• mateusbandeira
    mateusbandeira
    Community Member

Oh boy I can’t wait for this update! 🥳

• BEAK
    BEAK
    Community Member

Great!

• abulhol
    abulhol
    Community Member

Noice!

• ArnaudL
    ArnaudL
    Community Member

Yippee-ki-yay \o/

• PauloV
    PauloV
    Community Member

Ah nice!

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Can u make search search within fields? For example bank accounts? I am trying to find fileds from let's say 3-4 digits and I think for credit cards works but not bank accounts...

• Hi @jimger:

This new substring search feature is definitely able to search inside Bank Account number fields. Choose "Show all matching items" after entering your search, and 1Password will search all fields for it!

Jack

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P When u say new? I have tha latest stable. And doesn't really

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@jimger
    Actually, the new search is only available if you are using the latest nightly build of 1Password. I'm using the latest beta build and have to wait for a beta release that contains these changes as well. 😉

This discussion has been closed.