Master password does not unlock app after switch to 1password.com

Options
dave26
dave26
Community Member

I have used the standalone license for 1password for many years. To get ready for version 8, I clicked on the offer to upgrade to a 1password.com account for 3 years at 50% off. It took me to the 1password site and asked to create a master password for 1password.com which I did. Now I my old master password( which is different than the one I created for 1password.com) does not work and will not unlock the desktop app. I can login to 1password.com and see all my passwords. I also have a vault from a shared business account and it is there as well. I used dropbox to sync with the standalone license and the vaults are still there. I deleted the app and reinstalled it with the same result - locked out. I am looking for how to fix this.

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac OS 11.6.5
Referrer: forum-search:Master password does not unlock app after switch to 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @dave26:

Thanks for reaching out. One of my colleagues replied to your email a few days ago with some next steps. Did you receive it or run into any trouble along the way? Let me know!

Jack

ref: UCB-47636-692

• dave26
    dave26
    Community Member
    Options

They did reach out. It is too bad the support staff waited over a week to give me some useful steps to take, rather than generic information. My real complaint is that there was no warning, in the upgrade notice, that the master password needs to be the same when you switch from a standalone license to the 1password.com, otherwise you have the problems I did.

• Ben
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that @dave26. What guidance were you following for this migration? Our Migrate your existing 1Password data from standalone vaults to a 1Password account guide states:

During setup, you’ll be asked to create an account password. Use the password you already use with 1Password.

Ben

• dave26
    dave26
    Community Member
    Options

There was no guidance that I could see. The click to switch on the standalone app took me to the 1password.com site and the next thing was asking to pick a master password. No warning to use the existing one.

• Ben
    Options

I see. Thanks for sharing your experience @dave26. I'll bring this up with the team to see how we can improve this experience going forward.

Ben

• user1212
    user1212
    Community Member
    Options

What was the solution? I have the same problem. I didn't see any indicator that the account password needed to be the same as my standalone master password, and I assumed it should be different. Why would I ever reuse or type my master password into anything else?

• Ben
    Options

@user1212

Using the same password you've been using for 1Password is the recommended path forward. If that is not possible or not desired, the quickest way to access multiple accounts that have different account passwords would be through Windows Hello (Windows) or Touch ID (Mac). Similar options are also available for Linux and mobile devices.

Why would I ever reuse or type my master password into anything else?

It isn't anything else. :) You're using your 1Password password for 1Password. Each account will each still have its own unique Secret Key to protect against the normal threats caused with password reuse.

Ben

• user1212
    user1212
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. I'm not arguing with you; I'm just saying it would have been nice to know before.

So how do I fix the problem now that I'm locked out of the 1Password app?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2022
    Options

Okay. I'm not arguing with you; I'm just saying it would have been nice to know before.

Oh, I agree! Apologies I came across as argumentative. Was trying to answer your questions directly. There are a couple of places we highlight this, but I would concede there is room for improvement.

So how do I fix the problem now that I'm locked out of the 1Password app?

Are you able to sign into your account at https://start.1password.com/ ? Do you have your Emergency Kit printed?

Where are you able to access your data?

Please let me know.

Ben

• user1212
    user1212
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Yes, I have my secret key from my emergency kit, and I'm able to login to start.1password.com. I also have my standalone vault on another mac, still on 1Password 7.

• dking
    dking
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a minor password issue after updating to v.8. I hope this relates to the topic here.

Prior to the update I had a longer password to log into 1password.com and a truncated, easier password to open the app every time it auto-closes (which I want). Since the update to v.8 I have to enter the full 1password.com password every time the app auto-closes.

Can I change this to shorten the app password or is this a new feature of v.8 -- the alignment of website and app passwords?

• Ben
    Options

@user1212

And you're unable to unlock the 1Password 8 for Mac app using the same password you're using at https://start.1password.com ? 🤔 Please try this:

1. Make sure 1Password 8 is completely closed (not in the menu bar or anything).
    2. Make sure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit and can sign into your accounts on 1Password.com.
    3. Open Finder.
    4. Click Go in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
    5. Click Go to Folder.
    6. In the pop-up that appears paste in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data.
    7. In the folder that appears find the file 1Password.sqlite and drag it to the Trash in your Dock.
    8. Open 1Password 8.
    9. At this point you should be prompted to set up 1Password with your accounts, if you aren't prompted to re-add your accounts grab your Emergency Kit and add the information from there.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2022
    Options

@dking

It isn't generally possible to unlock 1Password 8 with a password other than your account password, but depending on your hardware/operating system situation there may be other unlock methods available:

I hope that helps!

Ben

• dking
    dking
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben.

It would be very nice to have the option to unlock the app with a different password than the account password. I rarely log into the account online, and of course want that password to be very strong. But because I want the app to auto-close quickly for security, I'm continually re-opening it throughout the day. The shorter password I had been using for the app until v.8 was reasonably strong but simpler and faster to enter. It's always a drag to LOSE functionality with an upgrade.

Touch ID would be nice but I have an external monitor so my MacBook is closed. And it has an Intel chip so an external keyboard with Touch ID is not an option.

This discussion has been closed.