The iOS app, unlike on Android, doesn't remember apps

marcoc
marcoc
Community Member

On Android I can:

• Save credentials from a website (e.g. example.org)
  • Download example.org's app
  • Select autofill with 1P
  • Search item
  • Fill out fields
  • 1P app will remember the app so that next time I don't have to search for it again

On iOS I always have to search for the item, it just doesn't seem to remember the app. Is this a limitation imposed by iOS? E.g. 1P only knows "some app" is requesting data, not which one? Or is it something that will be addressed in the future? Because this dramatically increases the time it takes to fill out credentials on apps.

(I'm a lifelong Android user who just got an iPhone)

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2022

Hello @marcoc! πŸ‘‹

On the iPhone AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS through an Apple technology named iOS Password AutoFill and 1Password only provides the data for the experience. Password AutoFill will match the apps that you use to your login items in 1Password by taking the associated domain associated with an app and comparing it against the website URL in your login items. If there is a match then Password AutoFill will offer to fill your login information.

If your login item is not being suggested for a particular app then you'll need to add the app's associated domain to your login item in 1Password. When you tap on the username or password field in an app you'll see the Password AutoFill prompt appear (above your keyboard), tap on the prompt and you'll see a button named "Create Login" with a website address underneath it. Take note of that website address and then use the following steps to add that address to the login item that you would like to have suggested for that app:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Find the login item that you would like to associate with the app and tap Edit.
    3. Scroll down and tap on Add URL.
    4. Add the app's associated domain.
    5. Tap Done.

If you don't see a website address underneath the "Create Login** button then it means that the developer of that app hasn't added an associated domain and there is nothing for Password AutoFill to use to match the app to a Login item in 1Password which means that you'll need to search for the correct Login item. You can also contact the developer of an app to have them add a specific URL as an associated domain for their app so that you don't need to manually add another URL to your login items. Here is Apple's developer page regarding associated domains:

Supporting Associated Domains | Apple Developer Documentation

I hope that helps. 😊

• marcoc
    marcoc
    Community Member

Thanks for clarifying Dave, so this is an iOS limitation indeed. Bummer.

• @marcoc

For most iOS apps the associated domain should be the same as the website address that you have saved in 1Password. Any apps where Password AutoFill does not automatically suggest the correct Login item but that do include an associated domain, you can edit the Login item in 1Password to include the app's associated domain as a second website URL. Once you do this Password AutoFill will be able to suggest the correct Login item for that app.

Let me know if you have any questions. 😊

• marcoc
    marcoc
    Community Member

So far none of my entries automatically match an app, even though they are associated to the correct domain (e.g. Google).

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Thanks, @Dave_1P !

There are some iOS apps where no domain is associated. That's why I'm using some entries as favorites to show them at the top of all entries when trying to autofill.

I'll take the link and send it to some developers so that they know how to add such a domain. πŸ‘

• @marcoc

Are you able to post the name of the Google app that isn't working with Password AutoFill for you? Don't post your login credentials, just the name of the iOS app.

@DenalB

Thank you for the great suggestion! 😊

This discussion has been closed.