1Password 7 will not install browser extension

Options
ipscgal11
ipscgal11
Community Member

I'm trying to install the 1Pass browser extension for Safari, but it doesn't install. I launch 1Password, select 1Password->Install Browser Extensions..., and nothing happens. No popups or anything, and the 1Pass extension does not get installed. Any ideas on how to solve this?

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• 7.9.5 uses the 1Password extension by the same number. Typically, you would not need to install 1Password for Safari as that is mainly intended 1Password 8. Try enabling the extension and see if you have better results.

If you would like to try 1Password for Safari then I'd recommend trying the following steps.

Let's try refreshing Safari's extension registrations. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac:
    3. Paste the following into Terminal and then press enter to run the command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

1. Open Safari and try to enable 1Password for Safari again.
  • ipscgal11
    ipscgal11
    Community Member
    Options

No luck with that - 1Pass "Preferences->Install Browser Extensions..." still doesn't do anything and Safari Extensions shows nothing there. To be clear, it's not a matter of enabling it; there's nothing in the Safari Extensions extensions panel to enable, and 1Pass 7 does not add anything to that panel.

• Please do not click install browser extension that could put you into a loop. The extension is bundled with the app. If the app is installed all that should need to be done is to open the Preferences and enable.

Let's try replacing the app. If it's damaged it may no show up properly.

• Your data is maintained outside of the app and will be completely safe. * Please be mindful to follow the steps below, especially the part about NOT using an app cleaner. They have been known to remove user's data, and we DO NOT want that to happen.
    1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • ipscgal11
    ipscgal11
    Community Member
    Options

Bingo! Thanks very much!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ipscgal11

On behalf of Tommy, I'm happy that the issue is resolved. 😊

This discussion has been closed.