Can't find extension in Safari

Options
jsack
jsack
Community Member
edited May 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Just installed 1Password 8 for Mac. I installed the browser extension for Firefox without problems and it works fine - better than before. But after installing the Safari extension, it's not there. The extension is in my Applications directory but if I open it, then open Preferences in Safari and go to Extensions, no 1Password. I've tried trashing the extension, quitting both Safari and 1Password and trying again from scratch, but still no extension.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2

Comments

• Hey @jsack:

It sounds like you're running into a known issue with 1Password in Safari that we're currently investigating. There is not yet a permanent fix, but we do have a workaround that will help.

Here are the steps for the workaround:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Open the Terminal app on your Mac: https://support.apple.com/guide/terminal/open-or-quit-terminal-apd5265185d-f365-44cb-8b09-71a064a42125/mac
    3. Paste the following into Terminal and then press enter to run the command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

1. Open Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, and enable 1Password for Safari.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions.

Alvin

ref: dev/core/core#8822

• jsack
    jsack
    Community Member
    Options

That fixed it. Thanks!

• You're most welcome @jsack !

• McFly
    McFly
    Community Member
    Options

Had the same problem, but the above solution fixed it. Is this a permanent fix, or will it be a reoccurring issue?

• Hi @McFly:

Great question. We've let our friends at Apple know about this behavior, but in the meantime, if it does occur again, running those steps again would be your best bet.

Jack

• McFly
    McFly
    Community Member
    Options

Jack, thanks for the reply. It seems to be working as expected, but I am still having one issue. The 1Password icon shows up in a form in the browser window, but clicking on it does nothing. I have to click on the 1Password toolbar icon to fill in a form. Missing this feature more than I expected!

• @McFly

Do you have both enabled? The original from 1Password 7 and the new 1Password for Safari?

• McFly
    McFly
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

@ag_tommy

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a brand new macOS 12.4 install and have only ever installed 1Password 8.

• @McFly

Gotcha. Let's get you over to someone on our extensions team who can take a deeper dive. Before we try that let's run through a few steps. If that doesn't help please email us using support+forum@1password.com

1. Make sure: 1Password > Preferences > Browser: Connect with 1Password in the browser is enabled
    2. You've enabled the extension
    3. Permissions. Did you grant 1Password permission to act on your behalf? You'll need to set them in Safari > Preferences > Extensions >. 1Password for Safari. For 1Password to work on all sites you would need to select the option for allow.
    • If you happened to select something else you'll need to adjust the settings in Safari > Preferences > Websites

• mgowin
    mgowin
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue as @ag_tommy: 1Password icon in browser form doesn't work. And I had to use the terminal workaround above to enable the extension.

I'm on macOS 11.6.6.

• McFly
    McFly
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure why, but after restarting the computer a few times and thus the browser, I just noticed that everything seems to be working okay now. I’ll keep chugging along and get back to you if something changes. Thanks @ag_tommy

This discussion has been closed.