Download Data

Options
bearfan
bearfan
Community Member

Is there a way I can download all my data to Excel or PDF? I'm on a pc with Windows 10. The goal is to be able to store a printable copy in a safe. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:download data to excel or PDF on a pc

Comments

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @bearfan, thanks for reaching out!

I understand you'd like export your data to a printable format. Before we get to that, I wanted to mention that the best way to ensure you always have access to your account is to save a copy of your Emergency Kit and taking the time to record your password on it: Get to know your Emergency Kit

With a 1Password membership, your data is stored in an encrypted format on our servers, so as long as you have your Emergency Kit (with an up to date account password written on it), you will be able to access your data from any device.

We typically advise caution with exported data. 1Password keeps your data in an encrypted state while its locked on your device, and the only way to decrypt it is with the correct keys derived from your 1Password account password and Secret Key. Exporting your data entirely bypasses the majority of the security benefits provided by 1Password and leaves your data vulnerable to anyone who's able to access it. This may not be a concern since you plan to store the copy in a safe but something to keep in mind is that you're not able to change a password easily without exporting and printing everything again.

With that said, you can find steps on how to export your data here: How to export data from 1Password

If you'd like to open the data in Excel, you can export it to a CSV format.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or need assistance with the export process.

Ali

• bearfan
    bearfan
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much - I appreciate your response and your concern for data security. I love that everything is encrypted AND I can access it from the server. The previous app I used encrypted data but I wasn't able to download it AND I couldn't retrieve it from their server. I do have my Emergency Kit saved and current. I'm new to 1Password but so far it seems like it is going to meet all my needs. I will follow the directions for exporting and keep a copy in the safe. THANK YOU Ali.

• bearfan
    bearfan
    Community Member
    Options

Well....I guess I need more help. I'm looking at the instructions to Export but the only 3 dots I see are the Google Chrome browser. I don't see any 3 dots within 1Password. Also, how do I know if I have Password 8 or Password 7?? Can you provide a screen shot of where the 3 dots are??

• bearfan
    bearfan
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I read somewhere that you can only export user names and passwords? Is that the case or can I also export the Secure Notes?

• Hi @bearfan, thanks for the kind post. I'm happy to assist with the follow-on questions.

I'm looking at the instructions to Export but the only 3 dots I see are the Google Chrome browser. I don't see any 3 dots within 1Password.

No problem - the three-dot button you're looking for is located in the 1Password for Windows app (which we sometimes refer to as the "desktop app"), and you can get to the export feature within it using the steps below. 👇

(these instructions assume that you're using a Windows 10 device, but if you're using something different, let me know and I'll be happy to adjust the steps)

1. Click the Windows icon in the lower-left corner of your screen. A list of programs will pop up.
    2. Select 1Password, which will be located near the very top beneath a # symbol.
    3. When the 1Password window appears, enter your usual account password. The app will unlock.
    4. Select the (⋮) button towards the top-left corner of the screen, then select Export > [the name of your account].

In 1Password 8, it looks like this:

From here, you can choose to export in either the 1PUX or .CSV format. That brings us to your next question!

I read somewhere that you can only export user names and passwords? Is that the case or can I also export the Secure Notes?

.CSV is limited in what it can export, because it produces the kind of text file you can read in Excel and programs like that. So that's limited to usernames and passwords only. However, the 1PUX format will export all your data. We are also continually building out the export capabilities of 1Password, so you can reasonably expect that your options in this area will expand in the future (although I can't offer any specifics on a timeline for that).

I hope this is helpful. We really hope you're enjoying 1Password - let us know if the steps here meet your needs, or if there's anything further we can do to help. 😃

• bearfan
    bearfan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Peter, thank you for the picture - VERY helpful. It all worked as you said. My only remaining question is: what application, if any, may I use to open the 1PUX file into a readable format?? Does that exist?

Now that I've played around with 1Password more, I love it. I was able to import all my data from my old app (Note Everything). 1Password is very powerful and although I know it is backed up on your server and I can access the data anywhere, my old school thought process still wants to store it in a physical safe - in a readable format.

Thanks much for your help.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @bearfan, my pleasure! And it's great to hear that you're enjoying 1Password - thanks for sharing that feedback with us. 😄

OK, to your question - and I apologize if this goes a bit long, I'd like to make sure we're addressing your concerns!

What application, if any, may I use to open the 1PUX file into a readable format?? Does that exist?

Great question. 1PUX is useful for transferring to other password managers, should you decide to make that move at some point (our philosophy is that your data is yours, and we have no interest in "locking in" customers by making it hard to leave). To get a little tech-y for a moment: this .1PUX format, while not as familiar as, say, a .EXE file, is structured as a JSON file, which means it will be familiar to developers at other app makers. They know how to create an import feature in their apps that can support this, because JSON is a common format for structuring data.

my old school thought process still wants to store it in a physical safe - in a readable format.

I do get that. The closest solution I can think of would be to export to .CSV, and then print that as you would any normal text file. Depending on what you're storing in 1Password, that could well be sufficient, especially if you're storing mostly password and login items.

However, .CSV doesn't contain all your 1Password data, because it's now possible to store data in 1Password that goes beyond the limits of that format. So here are a couple extra suggestions for how we might address this, and I'll hope to explain a bit about where your data lives and considerations for accessing it.

How to Ensure Access to your 1Password Data (in most situations)

Let's call this Scenario 1: in which you might want to ensure emergency access to your data, which is synced through 1Password.com, or to provide access to someone else in an emergency.

In this case, as @ali.hazime mentioned, we recommend printing out a copy of your Emergency Kit, writing your account password on it, and then storing it in that safe you mentioned.

Why would that make sense, in this scenario? Because the Emergency Kit gives you the ability to access your data from any new device. 👍 It essentially "sets you up" on that new device, and you can access your data from there as you would from whatever device you normally use. You or your chosen person can use it to regain access to all your data, independent of the device you're using at the time.

But what if there's a more dire situation?

How to Ensure Access to Your 1Password Data (If the Internet Explodes)

I'm joking about the internet exploding. But there is a real concern here, among us old-school types, which we recognize and respect: what if internet access is out for a period of time? What if our servers go offline, or some other unforseen thing happens? What if you are just personally in a situation in which you need to access your 1Password data, but you don't have wifi?

This is why your devices act as a kind of backup-in-place, and provide a source of redundancy for your data. Here's what I mean.

When you sign into the 1Password app for the first time on a device, a "local database" is created on that device (it's just a text database file, basically, that we encrypt with some formidable math). And importantly, that database file is what you unlock when you sign into the app. This has a couple implications:

1. You have a distinct copy of your data on every device where you've signed into the app
    2. You access these databases by unlocking your app as normal, and you don't need to be connected to the internet to do it

For this reason, using 1Password on a couple different devices can provide a safeguard against data loss (and we do recommend it, as a general practice). So in the case of "what if the internet explodes?", what you should have to do is: nothing, because your data already lives safely on your devices. And when our servers do come back online, your app will sync to them and your data will be newly synced across devices. But you never lose access to your data in the meantime.

I hope this provides some helpful context, and we're always happy to work with you to make sure that you can safeguard and access your data. I'll look forward to your reply! 😃

• bearfan
    bearfan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much Peter. This is helpful. A bit tech-y as you say but it gives me confidence that I'll be able to access my data on a device even if there is no internet. Appreciate your help. @Bearfan

• Always happy to help, @bearfan. Thanks for the dialogue, and we're here for any future questions! 😄

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @bearfan - just adding to Peter's already excellent response, I wanted to say that you can test the behaviour of 1Password when it's without access to the Internet very easily by turning on airplane mode for the device you have installed 1Password on. You'll see that 1Password works without a hitch even in airplane mode.

• Why thank you, @merrybit. And that's a useful test!

• bearfan
    bearfan
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both! Go Bears!

• On behalf of Peter, you're most welcome, @bearfan!

This discussion has been closed.