WebAuthn

XIII
XIII
Community Member

This is great news: https://blog.1password.com/1password-is-joining-the-fido-alliance

It actually already seems to work in the 80800123 Nightly build?!

I could register and login using 1Password (and Touch ID) on https://webauthn.io ๐ŸŽ‰

However, I don't see the entry I created anywhere in the 1Password GUI.

Is that something that still needs to be added?

1Password Version: 80800123 Nightly
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS Montery 12.4

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

PS: How is that going to work on iOS/iPadOS?

When I try to login on with the same username on the same website I get an OS screen that asks for a hardware key...

I hope Apple allows 1Password integration here!

• Hey @XIII:

While I'm just as excited about this as you are ๐Ÿ˜, WebAuthn isn't in any releases of 1Password just yet. It's likely that you're seeing a platform authenticator provided by macOS, rather than one from 1Password.

It's still early days, so we don't have much to share about specifics just yet, but keep an eye out for more.

Jack

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

It's likely that you're seeing a platform authenticator provided by macOS, rather than one from 1Password.

This occurred to me while reading on webauthn.guide and when I tried again I indeed (finally) noticed that it was macOS and not 1Password...

I was about to post that update here to correct myself, but you were even faster!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Might not be the best place to ask it, but I can't find it on the web, so:

How can one delete these OS/Apple specific private keys or passkeys? (macOS/iOS)

(looks like there's an opportunity here for AgileBits to do much better with 1Password ๐Ÿ˜‰)

• mweitzman
    mweitzman
    Community Member

On a vanilla Mac/iOS, passkeys are Keychain items. Hopefully 1Password will provide alternative storage and sync for these on both desktop and mobile.

• Hi @mweitzman:

Thanks for chiming in! It's early days, so while we're looking closely at how it can be best leveraged for users of 1Password, it's a bit too soon to answer that question definitively. What I can say is that it's very cool technology, and our team is on the front lines of moving it forward. ๐Ÿ˜„

@XIII:

I'm not entirely sure either how to reset platform authentication credentials either. While this isn't an authoritative answer, a quick look online seems that there may not actually be a way to reset resident credentials at the moment.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.