1Password in menu bar options [version 8.7 on Mac]

Options
schnide
schnide
Community Member

Hello,
On version 7, when visiting a site for the first time, I could go to the menu bar and say generate password and then say copy and save. It would then have a login entry with username, password and the web site, done - that wuick and easy! That is nice quick way to set up and save new site. It doesn't appear that option is now available. It seems more of a pain to set up a new login on a new site, generate a password and then going back to 1Password to now have to create a login, put in a login/username, put in a password and then put in a web site address. A lot more steps to do something that was simple and quick in the past. My apologies if I am missing something but would sure like to see this functionality back.

Thanks
Joe

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @schnide:

Thanks for giving 1Password 8 a try? Have you installed 1Password in the browser as well? You'll be prompted to generate a password and save it to your 1Password account right from the sign up page on the website. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• schnide
    schnide
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, have had it installed since it became available and still see the behavior I described. Sure I am missing something. I'll adapt, just miss the option and simplicity in previous versions to easily get a password and save a login with all needed info.

• Hey @schnide:

Just to confirm, here's a quick example GIF of how you can save a Login item from 1Password in your browser.

In this example, I first fill the email address I'd like to use using the in-line menu, then click in the password field to be suggested a password. After I click it to fill it into the password fields, 1Password in the browser shows the save dialog where I can confirm everything was saved as expected.

Let me know if you run into any further trouble, and I'll be happy to help you!

Jack

• schnide
    schnide
    Community Member
    Options

I will test that, thank you. Looks exactly what I would like to see. I have noticed some other strangeness since upgrading and very well may NOT be 1Password but thought I would mention/ask. Inconsistently, I see:
    1. The arrow keys no longer scroll up and down in a web site in Safari. I can use the scrollbar or a mouse wheel but arrow keys very inconsistent (mostly doesn't work).
    2. A lot of the time I will see a lock on the icon for the 1Password extension icon in Safari. The only way to get it to work was quit Safari, restart it (still a lock) and then run the app 1Password for Safari and click on buttons

Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Thanks
    Joe

• schnide
    schnide
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Still unable to access what your gif shows and arrow keys not working to scroll and still a lock on the 1Password icon in Safari and now unable to get the lock off no matter what I do. Any ideas?
    Left old 1Password on my Intel Mac I don't use much so I still have the tools I use available on the other Mac.
    Thanks
    Joe

• Hey @schnide:

Thanks for following up on this. We're currently tracking an issue with Universal Autofill affecting keyboard scrolling in Safari, and hope to have that smoothed out sooner rather than later.

If you click the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar, is 1Password for Mac opened to unlock using your account password or Touch ID / Apple Watch? Let me know!

Jack

• schnide
    schnide
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Appreciate the response and update. Its strange. If I quit Safari, sometimes it comes up with no lock on the 1Password icon and sometimes it has the lock. If it comes up without the lock, seems within a short time, the lock returns. If I click on the locked icon, I get different reactions at different times. Sometimes, it will open a blank tab and nothing happens and other times it pops down a box and just shows a spinning circle type thing and sometimes it will ask for a password, I put in my password and then to that spinning thing again. I have never had it unlock when I click on it.
    Thanks
    Joe

• Hi @schnide:

It sounds like we might need to take a closer look at 1Password for Safari on your Mac. Please save a console log from 1Password for Safari: Save a console log for 1Password in your browser

Attach the console log in an email addressed to support+x@1password.com. Include a link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/129556/1password-in-menu-bar-options-version-8-7-on-mac#latest and your username: schnide. You'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and we'll be able to connect the dots and locate your message to us.

Jack

• schnide
    schnide
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I have a ticket in and will work through that as they gave me the same instructions (and more). I have suggested in the ticket I may need instructions on downgrading to the well behaved and working 1Password 7 as 8 is not working well at all. Fortunately, I have another Mac I have not moved to 8 so I can easily through the menu bar tool do things like generate passwords and create logins. That means close to dozens of clicks and copy and paste and manual login creation in version 8. Very user unfriendly and inconvenient. Certainly regret going to version 8 at this point losing all the ease of use of 7, losing menu bar tool functionality and losing arrow keys for scrolling in a web page in Safari.
    Thanks
    Joe

• Hey @schnide:

Thanks for your feedback. Just as an additional note, we've resolved the trouble with Safari, so after updating to version 8.7.1 of 1Password for Mac, you should no longer have trouble using arrow keys to scroll.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.