Discouraged by 1Password University -- 6 problems encountered

Rabbit32
Rabbit32
Community Member

I thought I'd take a look at the course on the new 1Password 8 for Mac. First, I had to register with 1Password University so I could enroll for the course.

I registered using Safari. Entered my email address, then it wanted a password. So I clicked the 1Password "button from the Safari extension?" by the field and accepted the suggested strong password. After getting the confirmation email, I then needed to log in to the University site. But when I tried to do so, I noticed that I had never been prompted if I wanted to save my new login (for 1PW U.). Seemed strange, but I clicked the 1PW button so it would fill in my credentials. It filled in the password just fine, but didn't put my email address in (PROBLEM #1). So I type in my email and THEN it finally asked if I wanted to save the login. I said yes, so it created the new login in my 1PW app (which I already had open). But it didn't include my email address. So I had to go back in to it and edit the entry (PROBLEM #2).

Somewhere in that process, I was told I had to accept the new Privacy Policy. I clicked the provided link to view it. It opened a new tab and showed just a single sentence. I found it extremely hard to believe that was the actual entire policy, but couldn't find a link or anything pointing to an actual written policy (PROBLEM #3).

After all that, I finally logged in to the site and enrolled for the course. After viewing the initial screen, which showed off several features (all of which are already in 1PW 7), I went to watch the intro video.

• There was no way to make the video full-screen, so everything was rather small and hard to read (PROBLEM #4).
  • The video included closed captioning at the bottom, which I always find distracting, but there was no way to turn it off (PROBLEM #5).

At this point I decided this whole thing was too useless to continue and I quit watching.

So I'm curious: how can you guys expect us to get enthused about your controversial new Version 8 if you can't even have a smooth registration/login experience WHEN ONE USES 1PASSWORD ITSELF TO CREATE AND SAVE THE CREDENTIALS in order to watch the new training course?

Oh, in case you're wondering what version of the 1Password extension I have in Safari, the answer is: I don't know. Your little link "How to find extension version?" goes to a page that explains how to keep 1Password up-to-date in your browser, not how to see what version of the extension you have (PROBLEM #6). And I'm not going to select "Install app updates from the App Store" in the Mac System Preferences as that page instructs -- I don't want that box checked.

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Hi @Rabbit32:

Thanks for your feedback on this.

We're continuing to look at the video playback experience, and see where it can be improved. We completely understand that captions can be distracting for those who prefer not to have them. We're looking at how we can improve the experience here while adhering to our commitment to accessibility. Thanks for drawing attention to the privacy policy. We're currently in the process of updating our privacy policy there, and will be posting the revised policy when it is complete.

Additionally, are you seeing that behavior with 1Password for Safari on other sites, or just 1Password University? Let me know, and I'll be able to dig in further with you.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.