Can't drag and drop from quick search

Options
tmakaro
tmakaro
Community Member

From the quick search window (is that what you call it?), you cannot drag and drop the password/username.

If I click "Open Item in New Window" then I can drag and drop from there, but why the extra step?

I recently encountered this issue, when using the Windows Subsystem for Linux because it didn't like copy/pasting my password into Windows Terminal. (Though other stuff in Windows Terminal has been fine).

1Password Version: 8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 21H2

Comments

• Hey @tmakaro 👋

It's never been possible to Drag & Drop from Quick Access, though that is a pretty snazzy idea, so I'll be sure to pass it on to the team to see if that's something we could look into.

For now, setting a keyboard shortcut for Show 1Password and then using Drag & Drop from there might be the way to go. 😄

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

@Blake In 1Password 7, I could drag and drop from 1Password mini, so I don't think it's entirely accurate to say it's never existed. However, aside from this little nuance I will say that 1Password 8's Quick Access is far superior to 1Password Mini.

Quick Access has better keyboard shortcuts/navigation than Mini did, and it does a better job of remembering the item that I just used in Quick Access, but now need to copy a different field.

My only other wish for Quick Access other than this drag/drop is for me to be able to link items with specific .exe files, so if a program is running (background or foreground) then Quick Access would suggest the appropriate item even if it cannot autofill it (that still saves me having to type to search).

• Hi @tmakaro:

Thanks for the kind words about Quick Access, I really enjoy it too! 😁

While not detecting every app just yet, Quick Access on Windows does detect a few apps already, and we plan to continually make improvements on how Quick Access detects and surfaces items that are relevant for you. Stay tuned!

Jack

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

Just upgraded to 1PW 8.6.1 from and noticed this change of behavior (missing drag'n'drop) which I consider a very missing feature. I don't want to copy passwords to the clipboard for security reasons (I'm using a clipboard history tool) so dragging a password from the mini window was used all the time by me.
    For now I'm using Ctrl-O to open the entry in a new window, from where I can drag'n'drop as previously with mini.
    This requires an extra step and the window needs to be closed explicitly after that.
    I really would appreciate if the fields could be dragged from Quick access- cursor-right-menu

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for bringing back drag'n drop

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member
    Options

@fstorch If you copy passwords for 1Password, the 1Password makes sure that it doesn't get saved into Windows clipboard history, so unless you are using a different clipboard history software that's a none-issue. You can also set 1Password to delete the clipboard info after 90 seconds with mitigates other clipboard issues. (Of course this doesn't negate the need for drag and drop).

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

I actually use a different clipboard history software (3dClipboard) and the copied password shows up on that list and also will not be removed after 90 seconds although it is removed from the clipboard.
    But even if this would be working, 90 seconds are enough for any criminal sw on the pc to grab the password from the clipboard. So IMHO a password should never be copied and there are very programs meanwhile that don't support Drag'n'drop

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

sorry - dup posting

• Hey @fstorch / @viswiz:

I've shared your thoughts internally about being able to drag and drop from Quick Access. As you've noted, the best recommendation at the moment would be using Quick Access to open the item in a new window, then drag and drop the relevant field across. We're always using feedback like this to inform the future of 1Password though!

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-345

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

Using 1Password for Windows 8.8.0 80800012 NIGHTLY I noticed that when I use Cursor right in quick access it selects automatically "Open Object in new window Ctrl-O" which would be great - if that behavior would be sticky. Currently it is back to Copy Username Ctrl-C

• Thank you for the feedback, @fstorch. We appreciate it!

• ArnaudL
    ArnaudL
    Community Member
    Options

I'll also be in favor of having the drap&drop (of the password field by default) from the quick access bar

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @ArnaudL, I've added your voice to the internal feature request to help highlight user interest in drag and drop from Quick Access. Thanks!

Ali

ref: IDEA-I-345

• fstorch
    fstorch
    Community Member
    Options

After working for a while with 1PW8, I decided to give up on quick access completely now, due to the missing drag'n'drop capability. Using the Main Window is much more versatile for me. It's a pity that you invested so much time in Quick Access and it renders useless for me. Hope that some more effort will be done to it, to add that basic feature. I'm happy to test any according future enhancements to it.

• Hi @fstorch, I'm sorry to learn of this. While I can't promise any specific feature for future versions of 1Password (at least, not before they're released), we definitely plan to keep improving the app everywhere we can. We do appreciate you letting us know that the drag-and-drop capability would be useful for you, and we're passing the feedback on to our development team. Thanks for offering to test the feature in the future, too. I'd love for that to happen. 🙏

This discussion has been closed.