several issues after upgrading to V8 — is it possible to downgrade back to V7?

Options
devananda
devananda
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for over 10 years but after upgrading yesterday to Version 8 on my machine I've run into several issues.

1. The first issue is the shortcut that my hands are used to go longer works; when I try to enter it in preferences it will not except it. I know there are not any conflicts on my machine because I've been using that keyboard shortcut to invoke one password for 10 years and now suddenly doesn't work anymore.
  2. The next issue is that when I invoke one password it is not involved in the browser without clicking the extension icon in the browser. I don't see an option to invoke in the browser itself. Without clicking the extension icon.
  3. Now there is a bar that is invoked in the middle of the screen; previously I can edit an item from the quick search area but now it seems like I have to open 1Password app itself search for the item in order to edit it.

Is it possible to edit an item on the fly? Is it possible to get my old original keyboard shortcut to be excepted in preferences?

If not, is it possible to downgrade diversion seven?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022
    Options

@devananda

I see you also emailed us. One of my colleagues there will reply as soon as possible. We're a wee bit busy with the launch feedback we have received and actively working to get to everyone as soon as possible. My apologies it has not happened yet. Thanks for including other details in the email they should help the team to help you. Thanks for your patience.

ref: SKE-85932-543

• devananda
    devananda
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds good. I was just posting here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue and if this community had any suggestions on downgrading. Looking forward to hearing from support. I hope you had a great weekend!

• Thank you @devananda - we'll look forward to following up with you by email, and hope you're having a great weekend as well!

• devananda
    devananda
    Community Member
    Options

hey there,

I wanted to follow up on the ticket but when I searched my emails didn't see a ticket confirmation where I could reply; so, I wanted to paste an image here. On the attached screenshot it saysin order to enable launch bar integration I need to go to a place in preferences. However, I did not see this option anywhere in my preferences. I thought this might be helpful so I'm pasting it here; looking forward to hearing from support.

(see screenshot: https://cln.sh/MZjs2Q )

Hope you have a great weekend.

Take care and stay safe.

• Hi @devananda:

It looks like one of my colleagues has gotten back to you recently. As for your LaunchBar screenshot, 1Password 8 doesn't offer the same integration functionality that 1Password 7 had, so you'll need to disable 1Password integration in LaunchBar's preferences to stop that dialog from appearing.

Jack

• devananda
    devananda
    Community Member
    Options

A lot of breaking changes in v8 and I didn't see any release or warnings about these changes. Is there any documentation regarding these breaking changes?

After 10+ years of using 1Password this is the most disappointing release. It's totally disrupted my workflow, broken my keyboard shortcut and shocked me with other small and annoying issues.

• devananda
    devananda
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to know I'm not the only one here. I am biggest fan of 1Password. The newsletters and the release notes are even amazing. But this is disappointing. My guess is there must have been a shift in upper management?

• devananda
    devananda
    Community Member
    Options

well said. after 10+ years it will be excruciating to migrate to another platform. I would never use Last Pass (that's what I always told myself) — and I always felt grateful for finding 1Password in it's early days. But this release makes me feel like I got hit by a truck and now I'm in crutches.

• hernandezr
    hernandezr
    Community Member
    Options

Had v8 installed for 10 minutes and saw Mini wasn't working the way it used to. Saw I had to install a whole 'other app just for Safari... all that, plus reading comments here had me downgrading back to v7 right then and there. At least they made it easy as the v8 install had made a zip'd backup of v7 and had left it in my apps folder - so kudos for that. I will continue to use v7 for as long as I can - hoping they bring v8 into parity to v7. Ultimately, after using 1P for more than 13 years, once they force an upgrade, I'll find another solution - sad, but true.

• MaRob
    MaRob
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am in the same position. I updated to V8 and I am really disappointed by many disadvanteges compared to V7.
    I have used V7 now for 1 year, tested V8 now for two weeks. With that I also made some changes, that are not supported with V7 as I know. For example I added Registration PDFs as attachmends to licens entrys.
    I am asking myself now, what will happen if I now go back to V7. Dose that work or will there be any problems?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@MaRob

They should be present. The data still comes from 1Password.com as in syncing. 1Password 7 and 8 use the same data format.

• MaRob
    MaRob
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy , thank you for your fast reply. I am new here in the forum. Dose it make more sense to write some optimisation suggestions / wishes here or better direct per email?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@MaRob

Morning! Either place is fine. Whichever is to your liking. 😊

• markand
    markand
    Community Member
    Options

Just FYI, I ran into similar things. I installed 1Password 8 and really didn't like it. A big one for me was the inability to select which vaults show up in All Vaults. I have access to my 94 YO Mom's account - for which I'm really thankful - but don't want to see those unless wanted.

Someone noted that the old install of 7 was zipped up in the app folder and so I just unzipped that am back on 7. Very easy and thank you to the 1Password team for making it easy.

• Scott2
    Scott2
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Since this seems to be turning into a feedback thread, I'll throw in my 10 cents.

I've been on 1Password 8 for a week or two and I can't say I'm a fan. There's a few reasons . . .

1 - In many ways the UX feels like a step sideways. It's hard for me to quantify since I'm not a UX analyst, it just feels strange (and mostly not in a good way) whereas previous version changes felt like a mostly positive improvement. An example that sticks out at me is the Watchtower score - is it really necessary to show a 3 second counting animation every time I click on that page, much less a "Share my score" button that I will - without question - never use?

2 - The Search bar used to filter actively as you type, showing you the first record that matched your search alphabetically - now I get a dropdown with the closest matches but I have to hit the Return key to see them. I'd really like the previous functionality back.

3 - I HATE that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" can't be disabled without sacrificing browser plugin experience. Until now I never kept 1Password in my menu bar because it didn't add any value that a keyboard shortcut didn't - now I have to have it enabled (or suffer several extra clicks) and I'm unhappy about it. Before you think me strange, consider the Windows System Tray (Notification Area, whatever) - it started out innocuously enough but quickly became a dumpster fire, and I don't want that same thing on my Mac.

I'll be honest, I'm not considering moving to a different password manager, and I get you're not looking backward at v7. I genuinely like what you bring to the table with 1Password, and I hope you accept this feedback in the spirit it's meant - improving v8.

PS - THANK YOU for the Appearance Density preference - had I been stuck with "Comfortable" density I would have backdated to v7 and lived with it until it broke!!

EDIT: After some Googling, I'm guessing that the above feedback (at the very least item 1, possibly all 3) is due to the fact that 1Password 8 is an Electron app and not native. I genuinely didn't know, so please take the above as input from someone assessing v7 vs v8 UI without the tinge of the drama I'm sure you're all sick of.

But still, now that I know - sigh / . . .

• Scott2
    Scott2
    Community Member
    Options

The board ate my last post, hopefully this doesn't become a duplicate. If it does, kindly disregard.

--

Since this seems to be turning into a feedback thread, I'll throw in my 10 cents.

I've been on 1Password 8 for a week or two and I can't say I'm a fan. There's a few reasons . . .

1 - In many ways the UX feels like a step sideways. It's hard for me to quantify since I'm not a UX analyst, it just feels strange (and mostly not in a good way) whereas previous version changes always felt like a mostly positive improvement. An example that sticks out at me is the Watchtower score - is it really necessary to show a 3 second counting animation every time I click on that page, much less a "Share my score" button that I (without question) will NEVER use?

2 - The Search bar used to filter actively as you type, showing you the first record that matched your search alphabetically - now I get a dropdown with the closest matches but I have to hit the Return key to see them. I'd really like the previous functionality back.

3 - I HATE that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" can't be disabled without sacrificing browser plugin experience (Safari, Firefox). Until now I never kept 1Password in my menu bar because it didn't add any value that a keyboard shortcut didn't - now I have to have it enabled (or suffer several extra clicks) and I'm unhappy about it. Before you think me strange, consider the Windows System Tray (Notification Area, whatever) - it started out innocuously enough but quickly became a dumpster fire, and I don't want that same thing on my Mac.

I'll be honest, I'm not considering moving to a different password manager, and I get you're not looking backward at v7. I genuinely like what you bring to the table with 1Password, and I hope you accept this feedback in the spirit it's meant - improving v8.

PS - THANK YOU for the Appearance Density preference - had I been stuck with "Comfortable" density I would have backdated to v7 and lived with it until it broke!!

EDIT: After some Googling, it seems that my feedback (at least item #1, possibly all 3) is due to the fact that 1Password 8 is an Electron app and not native. I genuinely didn’t know that when I made this post, so please read this feedback as coming from who loves the Mac (has since the late 80s) and was evaluating v7 vs v8 without the tinge of the Electron drama I’m sure you’re all sick to death of.

But still . . . sigh.

• notnotjake
    notnotjake
    Community Member
    Options

@Scott2 (re. #3) WOW! I had no idea that having the Menu Bar item changed the Safari Extension behavior. That fixed one of my major gripes with v8. Well, "fixed" in quotes. If you have Bartender you can hide the 1Password menu bar item and then it's no big issue (but still dumb).

This discussion has been closed.